Why is deleting directory so slow?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sy8111

Why is deleting directory so slow?

Post by *sy8111 »

I often need to deleting big directory, but TC acts slowly on this operation compared to windows explorer. It takes much more time to collect information and delete.

can this be solved by some method?
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Yes, use Explorer for deleting 8)

... or... you can pass the currently selected dir to the batch script that will do del. on it. Nothing faster.... I watched how entire disks fly away in a second .... 8)
Habemus majkam!
sy8111

Post by *sy8111 »

majkinetor ! wrote:Yes, use Explorer for deleting 8)

... or... you can pass the currently selected dir to the batch script that will do del. on it. Nothing faster.... I watched how entire disks fly away in a second .... 8)
Thanks. So how to open the same directory in explorer quickly from within TC?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2sy8111
You don't have to open Explorer.
In the configuration window navigate to the Copy/Delete page and check "Use Explorer delete method". Please note that comments are not deleted when using this method.
A way to speed up the internal delete method is to uncheck the calculation of occupied space before copying/deleting (Operation page).

Here is a very interesting related thread:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=91385#91385
bberger

pass the currently selected dir to the batch del ?

Post by *bberger »

Good afternoon majkinetor,

May I ask you to elaborate on the "del" batch file please ?
I have tried to run the del command from the command prompt but it is not any faster than the delete operation from within TC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Bernard
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". - Albert Einstein
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

hello bberger.

In my xperience del always cleaned faster then anything else. For instance deleting Opera cache can take eternity while it takes few seconds with del. Its possible that del doesn't access individual files at all, but deletes NTFS directory records.

Acctually, it most certanly does that, as I deleted once by accident entire d:\ drive that was around 100GB basicly instantly by making mistake in batch script. I had something like del /Q %var%\ but var was empty in once situation so after runnign this batch, the drive was empty.

Its best bet to enter the folder in console and just type [face=courier]del. <---- notice the dot[/face]

Anyway, deleting can be slow for number of reasons. If it is slow everywhere than it is not TC problem. I have some crapy DELL machine on my job (marked machines are evil) that need 3 or 4 seconds to delete file of 0b size. Every time... It is 6GHz machine with 200GB SATA drive.... :roll:
Habemus majkam!
bberger

Wouah, that was fast !

Post by *bberger »

Thank you for this very prompt answer majkinetor !

I'll try the "dot" at the end of "del" to see if it makes any difference.

Have a nice evening,
Bernard
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". - Albert Einstein
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I'll try the "dot" at the end of "del" to see if it makes any difference.
Share the knowledge here
Have a nice evening,
I will.
Habemus majkam!
miskox

Post by *miskox »

<snip>
majkinetor ! wrote:hello bberger.

Its best bet to enter the folder in console and just type [face=courier]del. <---- notice the dot[/face]
Another suggestion:

I use the following command:
If you use command prompt:
DOSPROMPT> del/f/s/q . >nul && exit

Note that '&& exit' is optional it will close command prompt windows when it finishes. After that all you have to do is delete remaining folders with TC.

If you enter this command within TC then it [DOS command windows] will close automatically. So you can skip '&& exit'

Saso