Packer plugins combobox is too short and can be widened

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Even Christian wrote a couple of plugins with long names - DiskDir, MakeBAT
Yes, but the default extensions for those two are bat and lst - NOT diskdir and makebat.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

What is the default extension for TreeCopyPlus or WDXInfopacker? There is none! The extension is only used as a dummy and this is why you need descriptive extension names. How are you supposed to find it in the list otherwise?

TCP instead of TreeCopyPlus and WIP for WDXInfopacker? Why does ghisler extend the extension to 15 chars when he thinks that it's an abuse of the packer interface, huh? Makes no sense to me.

Icfu
This account is for sale
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Valentino wrote:
wanderer wrote:There is no point of increasing the combo-width
There is: it's too short now and can be widened easily without affecting anyone.
Valentino wrote:
wanderer wrote:plugins descriptive names should be short (around 8 chars max).
TrCpyPls isn't very descriptive. :)
Right...
icfu wrote:TCP instead of TreeCopyPlus and WIP for WDXInfopacker? Why does ghisler extend the extension to 15 chars when he thinks that it's an abuse of the packer interface, huh? Makes no sense to me.
Ok, you both have a point there. Since it is now used for more than what it was originally designed, perhaps it should be increased to the right. There is a little space for that. There has to be a limit to how many chars a plugin name may be though.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Valentino wrote:I will support it if Christian will implement Alt+Z (for Zip) and Alt+R (for Rar) mnemonics. I do not use others :)
Here these shortcuts do work already!

I support the suggestion of icfu as well as the widening of the combobox. I do use also makebat; TreecopyPlus etc. as extension.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Valentino means Alt-R and Alt-Z support if my proposal gets implemented. This will not work anymore then...

But, the advantage of having all extensions sortable, visible and accessible by TAB+char will compensate that I think.

If ghisler is not in the mood for a complete enhancement, he will also make me happy if only the plugins dropdown box gets enhanced with my proposal. All oldskool mnemonics would still work AND the ever growing list of packer plugins could still be sorted and displayed for easy access.

Icfu
This account is for sale