Quick search, Alt-underscore or Alt-dash

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

serjayes

Quick search, Alt-underscore or Alt-dash

Post by *serjayes »

When "Quick search" option Alt-Letters is selected, quick search to the file name which starts with underscore "_" or dash "-" is not possible.
Underscore and dash can't be handled also in the middle of the file name.
(user licence #64081)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Cant confirm that :!:

Created files _test and -test and put the cursor an ..
then I tipped _test/-test and landed on the files.

Please try it again with a Clear Ini
(ie try totalcmd.exe /i=test.ini)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hm, at least here I also can't quicksearch to an underscore when using ALT+letters. With letters only it works as expected.
serjayes

Post by *serjayes »

"Quick search" is configured for ALT-Letters, and the command line is turned on. Alt "-" ord Alt "_" can't move to such files, either at the start or in the middle of the name.
(user licence #64081)
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2serjayes
Yes, I understood and confirmed your observation, so may be sth can be fixed here (if it's not intentional behaviour) :)

I personally prefer the option 'letters only - with quicksearch dialog'. It is far more comfortable that the standard mode. And the focus can be moved to the commandline easily by pressing cursor left/right (combined with SHIFT when in brief or thumbnail mode) then.
serjayes

Post by *serjayes »

2 StickyNomad

I tried what you suggest, but I use the command line so much that the "letters only" is really not for me.

Now I also tried to reach _ (with Alt-Letters option) in the *middle* of the file name, and I can reach it if I *don't* hold the Alt button. As long as Alt is pressed it's like I already described, '-' and '_' are not recognized as input.
(user licence #64081)
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2serjayes

Hm, maybe there's another workaround:

You could deactivate quicksearch in configuration and then use the command 'cm_showquicksearch' to open the quicksearch dialog.

You can define an alias or a hotkey, e.g. CTRL+S with that command to open the QS-dialog (that can include wildcards, which is the big advantage over the standard method. Also you can jump between the found files).

All standard keypresses are still sent to the command line then...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It depends on the national keyboard whether "-" or "_" work or not with alt. Use the other options, they use character values instead of keyboard scan codes.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
serjayes

Post by *serjayes »

Thanks a lot StickyNomad, that's a really good idea.

I discovered that I can keep the Alt Letters option turned on and use it as before for simple names and to search for some "hard" name I can specially invoke the dialog with cm_showquicksearch, and then if I type in it I can locate the files.
(user licence #64081)
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2serjayes
Nice to hear that, I'm glad I could help.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2serjayes
You can also just pres ALT+*, then delete the * and write the _
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
serjayes

Post by *serjayes »

2 petermad

Thanks, that's a good idea.

I didn't use the * from the numeric pad, but I pressed alt shift 8 (where * is on my U.S. layout keyboard). The empty quick search appeared, so it looked even better. Then I tested it, if I have the file which starts with 8, even alt shift 8 will jump to that file (shift is ignored), and if I don't have such file, empty search appears. Anyway now I know that for "hard" file names I should use the trick "first make the quick search dialog appear, then search", and that I can search without holding Alt, even if the Alt is configured to start the search.
(user licence #64081)