[Req] Simple gradients on panel background

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Should we be able to create gradients as background for the panels?

Yes!
21%
No wai!
45%
Only if it's not a drag on performance
34%

Total votes: 29

SchizoDuckie

[Req] Simple gradients on panel background

Post by *SchizoDuckie »

Hi Christian,

I've been a reg'd user of total commander for years and i'm really liking the visual upgrade you've (finally) added to Total Commander 7 b1

I've been wondering, could you create a simple (optional) gradient-painting function (with custom start/end colors) for the background of the panels? That would really add to the upgraded look if you ask me.

I've made a quick 'n dirty example:

Image: http://home.schizofreend.nl/totalcmd.jpg
note: the i'm only talking about the gradient in the panels, my total commander also has a visual style applied)
I'd like to hear what you and other users think of this.
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

support +
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I'm not against such an addition, but personally, I prefer a more straight appearance and therefore probably won't use a gradient if it was implemented. In addition, this could be difficult to implement when alternating line colors are used.

So I would have voted 'I don't care if made optional' :)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The last time I saw such a gradient, my monitor exploded...

I share StickyNomad's opinion, using alternating colours myself now, but as a well known supporter of background pics with tits in TC, I cannot vote against backgrounds with gradients, right? ;)

So, you have my vote. Gradients don't hurt me.

Icfu
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

but as a well known supporter of background pics with tits in TC...
:D :D :D
Yeah, I remember that one...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

If we go as far as gradients, why not extend it more and perhaps have the ability to define a background picture to the panel instead of a definable background color?

And, if that is done, why not add skinning options to TC? Of course that would make the TC dir 30 mb instead of 3 ;)

Overall: IMO one of the very nice features of TC is that it has a tone of built-in options. When you first see it, you are impressed and love it. You get a little disappointed by its interface though (up to before the appearance of TC7). Adding a background image might be beautiful and if it's easily done, i'd welcome that. The skins part was a joke. IMHO it would make TC sluggish.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
SchizoDuckie

Post by *SchizoDuckie »

I agree on that, If you're already drawing on the canvas of the panels, drawing and/or tiling an image is just as easy as drawing a simple gradient.

I know this is not a top priority on Christian's list, but i think it would compliment the TC user experience. I for an instance *always* have a TC instance open, would be nice if it looked great too huh? :D
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Have the ability to show a selectable picture for background will indeed be great!
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

I know, Mr. Ghisler is against background picture, :( , but it would be nice to have it...
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

It occurred to me the other day that I had reversed my own opinion about bitmaps behind the file lists. (I have been opposed.)

If I had the choice, I might put a simple, subtle linen or paper texture behind the files. This type of backdrop works great in my 3-D modeling softwares.

It seems counter-intuitive, but complex shapes appear to stand out a bit more (for me) against a slightly textured background than against a completely smooth one. It stands to reason that the same effect might work with text over a texture... or a gradient.

So, I like the gradient, but wouldn't want it ALSO on the trees. The tree need to have backgrounds that differ from the file panels'.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric