TC installer suggestions

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

TC installer suggestions

Post by *pdavit »

It should be nice if TC's installer could trigger the presence of an already
installed version (to some extend it already does), and by default have
radio buttons for Start menu and Desktop icon to NO as well as for additional
languages. So that we can next-click more "blindly" if you like.
Last edited by pdavit on 2006-11-12, 17:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Yep, I agree.

Also I would prefer to get rid of the overwrite warning when totalcmd.inc is writeprotected. I have it write-protected because I don't want it to be overwritten, so *at least* the default in that dialog should be a NO! Better get rid of it completely.

And another one:
Don't reset the menu and language file when updating!

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote:Also I would prefer to get rid of the overwrite warning when totalcmd.inc is writeprotected. I have it write-protected because I don't want it to be overwritten,
The possibility to create em_commands contained in the usercmd.ini in addition with the wcmd_XXX.inc in the language folder for translated descriptions of all commands from the totalcmd.inc may make the writeprotection of the totalcmd.inc unnecessary.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I see no relationship here. totalcmd.inc is used by TC for cm_command <-> command number association and I don't want TC to overwrite changes I have made there.

The file is still castrated, the drive section still doesn't contain all drives and has to be extended manually.

The same is also true for WCMD_DEU.INC in Language folder by the way, also I wonder why in TC 7 the menus and languages haven't been finally moved to the user-dependant wincmd.ini location and are still in the program directory. Well, that's a different story...

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

And another for the Installer:
make an Option to make an Icon in the QuickStarter-Area.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:And another for the Installer:
make an Option to make an Icon in the QuickStarter-Area.
Which we use more than the desktop in the case of TC. Support+++
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:Don't reset the menu and language file when updating!
I support that too but I can remember Christian mentioning that he does that so that users not using custom menus can see the results of additional menu entries as new features are added.

Maybe another dialog should be introduced here to ask the user what he prefers to keep his current configurations or revert to the default menu/language configurations.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I support that too but I can remember Christian mentioning that he does that so that users not using custom menus can see the results of additional menu entries as new features are added.
That's ok, I don't have anything against autoupdating the default files WCMD_XYZ.LNG and WCMD_XYZ.MNU. But, I am against resetting LanguageIni and Mainmenu setting in wincmd.ini to those default file names.

All he needs to do is check if custom names are entered there and if yes: Don't touch! ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:All he needs to do is check if custom names are entered there and if yes: Don't touch!
True! Pure and simple! ;-)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

That's ok, I don't have anything against autoupdating the default files WCMD_XYZ.LNG and WCMD_XYZ.MNU
I'm with you ... If I change the defaults, I use my WCMD_myname_XYZ.LNG, WCMD_myname_XYZ.MNU or WCMD_myname_XYZ.inc set.
The defaults will be overwritten (OK) with every new TC version and I can easily check the difference for recent changes/add-ons if necessary.

But I must be aware of critical changes at LNG (e.g. "Keep this file" changes to "Delete this file") ... it's up to the author to change the logic ;)
All he needs to do is check if custom names are entered there and if yes: Don't touch!
ANY name entered must remain untouched.

Support++
#5767 Personal license