Viewing MP3 files and copying to my player in Totalcmd?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mtlwriterguy

Viewing MP3 files and copying to my player in Totalcmd?

Post by *mtlwriterguy »

Hi!

Among the 10,000 things I do with Total Commander is transfer downloaded podcasts and other MP3 files from my hard drive to my Rio Forge MP3 player. It works fine technically, but unfortunately Total Commander does not fully display the podcast episode name or title. (It's very difficult to tell exactly which podcast "PUB_648905.mp3" is, not to mention whether it's the particular episode you want). I download podcasts with Juice (formerly iPodder) which displays the titles perfectly, but it cannot be used to copy them to the MP3 player. Aaargh!

I have tried to install several different ID3 tag plugins for Total Commander, but none of them seemed to work. Can someone suggest a solution for me?

(I should add, a solution that does not involve me messing around with command lines and code. I'm not that much of a power user.)

Many thanks!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Lets go step by step then. I dont know about podcasts (what is that anyway?) but i know about ID3 tags a little. Do you see the required tags in Explorer? Maybe all you need is either the Shelldetails plugin, or some audio plugin, like audioinfo.
After downloading you can just open the archive file, TC will install the plugin. Then you can define a custom view, by right clicking on the header line and choosing Configure custom columns from the popup menu. Here you can choose several ID3 tags, most of all, title and artist is important. Have fun exprimenting!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
mtlwriterguy

Header line?

Post by *mtlwriterguy »

Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

However, when you say
...by right clicking on the header line
, I'm not 100% clear what you mean. I've successfully installed Shelldetails, as per your instructions (as well as a couple of other plugins), but it's always at this level that I get stymied. I don't know what the next step is to configure the plugin or to get it to work at all.

As for podcasts, they are scheduled audio (or video) programs that you can download to your computer and transfer to your MP3 player. Some are re-purposed radio shows from public broadcasters like CBC, BBC or NPR. Most are independently produced.

Details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasts/
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

mtlwriterguy wrote:...but unfortunately Total Commander does not fully display the podcast episode name or title.
mtlwriterguy wrote: I've successfully installed Shelldetails...
Welcome, mtlwriterguy!
-Menu: Configuration / Custom columns...
-or: contextmenu (rightclick) on the Name or Extension field in the "tabstop header" / "Configure custom columns"

More info:
ShellDetails (Content plug-in)
http://www.lefteous.de/tc/docs/shelldetails/readme.htm

Here is a similar picture of another already installed plugin: DirSizeCalc.
http://www.ghisler.ch/wikide/index.php/Bild:DirSizeCalc_Gr%C3%B6sse_Hintergrund.png
What a strange language! :)

Have fun experimenting! -and let us know!
Stance