ftp download bug?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jungle

ftp download bug?

Post by *Jungle »

2 times (today and some days ago) while downloading files (> 2Gb) from ftp TC (pb1) stopped downloading with a message "source and target are different". I know that files were not changed. I can't remember such behaviour in e.g. 6.55.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander 7 now tries to auto-resume a transfer when the connection is lost. TC then sends a REST (restart) command to restart the transfer a bit before the end of the file, and then compares the overlapping part for identity. The error means that something must have corrupted the data near the end of the file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

Can i disable auto-resuming? It's not pleasant to redownload 4Gb file with the 40Kbytes/sec speed.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Jungle wrote:Can i disable auto-resuming? It's not pleasant to redownload 4Gb file with the 40Kbytes/sec speed.
You may try the following:

Let's say the file you've downloaded so far is 2,934,974,234 bytes. Try to split it using TC to parts of 2,934,900,000 bytes each (just try to delete up to 100K at the end of the file). After that, delete the 2nd part TC-split will create (*.002) and rename the first part to your original file (just replace the .001 extension with the original one). Then try to resume the download to see what happens.

It should work if the downloaded files has been corrupted at the last few bytes only. If you have a poor connection and there is a more extensive corruption then you may have to re-download all of it.

Good luck.

P.S.: Christian, some programs (download managers mainly) have an option to automatically rollback a certain amount of bytes before resuming. I believe TC should have such an option too.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Can i disable auto-resuming?
Yes, Configuration - Options - FTP, there is an auto-resume option which you can turn off.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com