Memory usage while deleting directory

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dfrank

Memory usage while deleting directory

Post by *dfrank »

Hello,

I am experiencing some strange behavior with TC7 beta 3 on Windows Vista:
On a USB harddisk I am deleting a directory with round about 15000 small files (all files in total are about 100 MB). TC is set to delete to recycle bin.
TC is deleting the files a bit slow (about 1-2 files per second) and the recycle bin is full (containing ~22000 files / 12 GB). But the speed is not the problem. The problem is the memory usage, after deleting probably 50 files TC starts to swallow memory and continues to raise without anything stopping it. After sending the delete task into the background and pausing it it continues to raise for probably 15-30 seconds, then the memory usage returns to normal amounts.

The problem seems to be related to using the recycle bin. If I tell TC not to delete to recycle bin or if it is nearly empty this problem does not occour.

Some basic computer information:
CPU: Core2 Duo 2,66 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it's not a good idea to delete files to recycle bin on an USB stick on Windows XP or Vista. Why? These systems do not use a write cache for USB sticks, so writing to it the normal way is terribly slow.

If you really need to do this, turn on the Explorer delete method in Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dfrank

Post by *dfrank »

For some reason unknown to me, Vista seems to have this enabled by default on removeable USB harddisks.

I can live with a disabled recycle bin, but still I think the memory usage is strange. To me it looks like TC deletes the 2nd file before the first file is done and is a bit "too fast" so that more and more delete processes are waiting to be finished, all taking up some space. And when I hit pause in TC Vista is finally able to finish them and therefore memory usage goes down again.