Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

[Wish] Quick Search improvement

Post by *Postkutscher »

Help file from TC wrote:Configuration - Quick Search

Quick search in current directory

CTRL+ALT+Letters The quick search window is opened with CTRL+ALT+Letter. Once the window is open, the CTRL and ALT keys can be released. The ALT key together with a letter activates the menu item which is underlined.
ALT+Letters With this setting, ALT+Letter activates the quick search window. The menu can be activated with F9, F10 or ALT - release ALT - Letter.
Letter only Like in file manager/Explorer, typing a letter jumps to the next file starting with that letter. To use the command line, you must press the right cursor key, or shift+right key if brief file display is on. You can type the first few characters of a file, not only the first lettter. Total Commander will 'forget' the typed letters after about 1 second delay.

I think, that it is a good idea to enable quicksearch by extention with ctrl+alt pressed , when letter only or alt mode for quicksearch by name is activated and vice versa. It could be optional. Configuration - Quick Search window has enough place to put new radiobuttons or checkbox.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2>Postkutscher
To search for extension just press Ctrl+Alt+<dot> then letter(s)

After you find the extension you search for, press Up/Down (inside quick search window) to move to the Previous/Next file with this extenstion
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

Interessant, thank you. But this method is unapplicable in "letter only" mode, that I currenly use.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Postkutscher
*.ext works though.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2SanskritFritz do you understand what I mean? I tell about quick search(selecting the first letter of the filenames in the current directory), not about search with wildcards (alt+f7).
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2Postkutscher
Yes, just try it: in letter-only mode typing "*." (without the quotes) enables quick searching for an extension (instead of Ctrl+Alt+<dot>).

2ts4242
2SanskritFritz
Many thanks for the hints, another very nice (hidden?) feature.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

Yes, now I see. This works. I have made it too slow at first :(
Thank you all for responce and tricks.