Copy Path function in listbox

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

VadiMGP wrote:Why it is impossible? I didn't find any restriction not in Platform SDK help nor in MSDN KB. Anyway, for all files always exist base folder - Desktop. Moreover, look at standard Explorer behaviour: after search it is possible to copy any number of files from search result window even when files located on different disks.
Can you give me an example on how to do this programmatically? I would -love- to add this!

The problem is that the IShellFolder interface expects relative id-lists to that directory for the Context menu or for Drag&drop...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Peter Meier

Post by *Peter Meier »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's impossible to copy more than one file/path in the search result, because the context menu functions only work with files in a certain base directory, not from multiple dirs.
I always use exactly one base directory to search from. So wouldn't it make sense to enable the context menu in this case? Please :D
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Perhaps I have misunderstood the issue, but the SpeedCommander Find utility appears to offer the function requested in this thread...
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

JohnFredC wrote:Perhaps I have misunderstood the issue, but the SpeedCommander Find utility appears to offer the function requested in this thread...
I used the search utility and couldn't show properties for more than one file if the found files are located on different drive roots. Adding them to a file container couldn't solve the problem.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I did misunderstand. Sorry!
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2JohnFredC
Yes, SpeedCommander does exactly what i asked about - copy files to clipboard.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2VadiMGP

well there have been many requests here in this thread. Indead SC is able to copy the found files to clipboard.
I thought JohnFredC talked about the properties window...
too many misunterstandings... ;-)

You wrote you didn't find any restriction in the MSDN. Did you find a solution?
Peter Meier

Post by *Peter Meier »

Peter Meier wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:It's impossible to copy more than one file/path in the search result, because the context menu functions only work with files in a certain base directory, not from multiple dirs.
I always use exactly one base directory to search from. So wouldn't it make sense to enable the context menu in this case? Please :D
Well, what happened?
Dear Mr. Ghisler do you intend to change the feature?
I'd love to see that. Would it help if I say I'm a registered user? :wink:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Copy to clipboard will work in TC 6.0 at least for all files on the same drive. There are still some problems with files from different drives, though...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Peter Meier

Post by *Peter Meier »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Copy to clipboard will work in TC 6.0 at least for all files on the same drive. There are still some problems with files from different drives, though...
Great! Thanx a lot! :D
vicray

Post by *vicray »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's impossible to copy more than one file/path in the search result
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but, once the results of an Alt+F7 search are in the "Search results" window (and before feeding them to listbox), pressing Ctlrl+C copies all the full paths of the found files to clipboard, even if they are located in different drives.

What is not possible is to be selective. You can only copy all the paths, not just some of them.

--------------
vicray
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2vicray

it's about the search result shown in the listbox after you pressed "feed to listbox".
The thread isn't about coping the paths as text instead it's about coping the files themselves to clipboard.