[Wish] Unlimited length of comment in descript.ion file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Stiltzkin wrote:can anyone confirm that the 'TCEditCommentExtended.exe' and the 'ArcInfo.exe' within the TCEditCommentExtended_0.3.0.zip contains the signature of 'Worm/Sohanat.H' ?

thats what 'avira antivir' is telling me after the latest virus definition update...
hope its a false alarm...
I can confirm that Autoit - exe files (compiled autoit scripts) frequently trigger false alarms with several Virus scanners.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Lefteous wrote:2van Dusen
I have to interfere a bit here. Maybe you read here which improvements can be expected in TC 7.

Don't get me wrong your add-on seems really good but I guess there will be an internal solution for similar tasks in TC quite soon. I just can't watch and keep silent how someone writes such a complex tool parallel to an internal TC solution.
I haven't notice anything new concerning edit comment in the brilliant new TC7 (the most I used it the most I discover nice features 8) ) did I miss something? Anyway I like TCEditCommentExtended.

2 van Dusen
Just wondering if it is possible to configure TCEditCommentExtended 0.3.0 to start it with the tab [Multiple file] enabled by default since I mainly use your program for this feature.

TIA
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2gbo
I haven't notice anything new concerning edit comment in the brilliant new TC7
Press Files/Change attributes. Press more attributes. The first field presented is tc.comment. Now you can enter a new comment for all files directly. Another way is to use the >> button which opens the known comment edit dialog box. The + button adds plug-in fields as source for the new value. This can be used to overwrite the current comments or to combine the old comments with a fixed text and so on.

You can also save/load sets of attributes using the profile combobox (F2).
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Oh Oh it seems I am not at the end of surprises :shock:

Thanks Lefteous for your explainations
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
apz

Post by *apz »

I hope this also means a fixed support for files.bbs

Because files.bbs already supports linebreaks and longer descriptions, while tcmd seems to butcher them.
carl

Descript.ion sample file...

Post by *carl »

Greetings,
Please make sure your plugin is also compatible with my descript.ion file extensions please!! I think its very important, i have also already registered with JPSoft my extension identifier with them...

Since i cannot post URL's for the moment, please contact me, or search for file identifier Optima SC Inc, and you will get my extension specifications...
(Search for the following in google: 4DOS/4NT Description file extensions proposal)

Thanks!
-- Carl Eric Codère
http://www.optimasc.com
Motorocker

Post by *Motorocker »

Any news?
Can Total 7.5 work with unlimited comments?
Can new Total use line breaks? Can Total use 0xA0 (non break space) for this?
Graphics Converter – images conversion
KillOK – Cease to press OK!
NSCopy – copy unreadable
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 7.5 will support comment lengths of 4 kBytes minus name length, a space, and the extra fields (the maximum allowed according to the new descript.ion documentation).

I also have my own ID now (0xC2), which I will use to mark comments containing line breaks. 0xA0 will not be used, instead I will use \n for line breaks and \\ for backslashes (only of 0xC2 is present).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:descript.ion isn't a format with which you can do what you want! It was introduced by the makers of the tool 4dos and 4nt. These tools limit the length of the descript.ion line to 512 characters, and do not support any line breaks. TC would break these tools if it ignored their restrictions. Unfortunately as you have noticed there are some programmers which simply ignore other programs and do what they please with a file format.
Isn't that what you are doing now (in Total Commander 7.50 public beta 1/2).
icfu wrote:
The characters
after the description allow extension of the description format
for use by other programs
. They are as follows:

* is an ASCII Ctrl-D (04), and marks the end of the description
text and the beginning of information for a program other than
4NT or Take Command
. This symbol can appear multiple times on each
line; each occurrence marks the beginning of information for another
program.

[...]

The line length limit is 4096 bytes; exceeding this limit will cause
unpredictable results.
http://jpsoft.com/ascii/descfile.txt

So, it is completely ok to use descript.ion files longer than 511 bytes up to 4096 bytes and it is also ok to interpret a \n as a line break.
It's not OK to interpret a \n as a line break. That would mean storing program specific data into the description. Program specific data should be behind a <Ctrl-D><ID> mark. \n are normal characters. To interpret them differently means changing the format. What would happen if more programs would add special characters (for instance $,#,etc.) with special meaning? If this is allowed there's no need to use the <Ctrl-D><ID> method. Every program could add his marks to the decription. For example:

Code: Select all

[programX:author]Description line 1[TC:newline]Description line 2.[programY:shooting date]
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It's not OK to interpret a \n as a line break.
It is.
That would mean storing program specific data into the description.
It would not.
Program specific data should be behind a <Ctrl-D><ID> mark.
There is a difference between program specific data and a user's choice to have \n interpreted as a line break in the common descript.ion area.
\n are normal characters. To interpret them differently means changing the format.
The format isn't changed by the way how printable characters are interpreted by programs.
What would happen if more programs would add special characters (for instance $,#,etc.) with special meaning?
Besides that Mother Earth would collapse, it would mean that these descript.ion files could be edited normally in all apps with descript.ion support.
If this is allowed there's no need to use the <Ctrl-D><ID> method.
You haven't understood the ID concept, just like ghisler, who has totally fucked up this descript.ion implementation.

He doesn't set the ID when comments reach the limit of 511 chars, but instead he sets the ID only when line breaks are used, but instead of IN FRONT of the first occurence he puts the ID at THE END of descript.ion. This will of course lead to data loss in descript.ion files when edited in other applications.

FAIL!

How is it possible that this has not been discovered during the beta tests? Really, not even by tosbsas? Impressive!

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Really
No.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

He doesn't set the ID when comments reach the limit of 511 chars, but instead he sets the ID only when line breaks are used, but instead of IN FRONT of the first occurence he puts the ID at THE END of descript.ion. This will of course lead to data loss in descript.ion files when edited in other applications.

This sounds like a serious issue. I was planning a little application to use the area after the ctrl-d...
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

According to the descript.ion format specification here:
http://jpsoft.com/ascii/descfile.txt
there is no 512 byte limit for the plain text comment, just a 4096 byte limit for the entire line. Apparently 4dos and 4nt don't even follow their own specifications...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

icfu wrote: The format isn't changed by the way how printable characters are interpreted by programs.
Funny, I thought that was the definition of format. So basically you are saying that when the format is that the first 20 characters are for storing first name and the following 20 characters are for last name, it's OK to interpret the first 20 character as last name and the following 20 characters as first name. I wonder what your definition of format is.
icfu wrote:
What would happen if more programs would add special characters (for instance $,#,etc.) with special meaning?
Besides that Mother Earth would collapse, it would mean that these descript.ion files could be edited normally in all apps with descript.ion support.
Exactly, that's possibly the reason why people may want to misuse the description when they want to to extend functionality.
icfu wrote:
If this is allowed there's no need to use the <Ctrl-D><ID> method.
You haven't understood the ID concept..
Enlighten me.
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

2van Dusen or someone else.
Can you fix TCEditCommentExtended for UTF support and possibility run au3-script directly (without compiling)?
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway