TC 7.04 final : ZIP with AES fails on NT4

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gnozal8

TC 7.04 final : ZIP with AES fails on NT4

Post by *gnozal8 »

Using TC 7.04 final on Windows NT4sp6.

I cannot use AES encryption [AES128/AES192/AES256] : 'function not supported' error message. Maybe the 'Verify that wcmzip32.dll is signed by "C. Ghisler & Co." before using AES encryption functions' fails on NT4 ?
Classic [Zip2.0] encryption works.

The signed wcmzip32.dll is present in the TotalCMD directory.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your report. I will check whether these functions are missing on NT4.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have checked it in a debugger now. It's really weird, all certificate functions seem to work properly, but instead of the certificate subject "C. Ghisler &Co." the function CertGetNameString return just the country "CH" (=Switzerland). I found no way to get the certificate subject on NT4. However, searching the entire certificate for "ghisler" seems to do the trick too, so I will use that in TC 7.04a.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Christian.

I wonder if it may not be advisible to drop support for any Windows version prior to Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup1 starting with the upcoming TotalCommander v7.5?!

The main new feature of T.C. 7.5 will be the full Unicode support. Windows versions prior to Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup1 will not profit from this feature anyway.

So why spend a lot of time on preserving downward compatibility for Windows versions that have long ago been abandoned by Microsoft? It is complicated and difficult enough to keep T.C. compatible with all current Windows versions.

Just my 2 Euros. (You don't get much for 2 cents. :wink: )

Karl
gnozal8

Post by *gnozal8 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:... I found no way to get the certificate subject on NT4. However, searching the entire certificate for "ghisler" seems to do the trick too, so I will use that in TC 7.04a.
Thank you very much !
karlchen wrote:... The main new feature of T.C. 7.5 will be the full Unicode support. Windows versions prior to Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup1 will not profit from this feature anyway.
FYI, Windows NT4 supports unicode.
As for Win9x/Me, why not support them as long as it's possible ? Many apps I use come in two versions, ANSI and UNICODE.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if it may not be advisible to drop support for any Windows version prior to Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup1 starting with the upcoming TotalCommander v7.5?!
No, that's a bad idea - there are still many people who use these older Windows versions, and it's not a big deal to support them.

I just need to be informed if something doesn't work under a specific Windows version. I try to test under multiple versions, but I simply cannot catch all problems myself.
gnozal8

Post by *gnozal8 »

Fixed in TotalCMD 7.04a final.
Thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback!