TC reports wrong copy speed with files via LAN or WLAN

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Cooperdale

TC reports wrong copy speed with files via LAN or WLAN

Post by *Cooperdale »

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64, and I noticed that when I transfer a file via LAN or WLAN Total Commander reports a speed which is much higher than the real speed.

This happens when I transfer files from the Vista pc to others, it works right the other way around.

For instance if I transfer a file at a speed of 4Mbyte per second, TC reports a speed of more than 40Mbps. Trouble is, when the transfer reaches 100%, it takes a few minutes for the transfer window to actually close (depending on the length of the file). The speed is fictitiously high.

This doesn't happen if I transfer the file using Windows' default explorer interface.
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

Any info on this?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

May be this is related to the used system cache.

The first MB (how many depends on your settings) are written to RAM first and are send to LAN, if cache is full.
After the data is written very fast to cache (all data written means 100%) TC waits until it gets a "File transfer completed" message back.
Hence, this is the case after the REAL transfer over LAN has been completed (which lasts some time)

Note: TC can't know where the data is written to. This is up to Vista.
#5767 Personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Correct. You can use "compatibility mode" to get a more realistic copy speed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

sqa_wizard wrote:May be this is related to the used system cache.

The first MB (how many depends on your settings) are written to RAM first and are send to LAN, if cache is full.
After the data is written very fast to cache (all data written means 100%) TC waits until it gets a "File transfer completed" message back.
Hence, this is the case after the REAL transfer over LAN has been completed (which lasts some time)

Note: TC can't know where the data is written to. This is up to Vista.
Thanks. It may be something like this, yes. But how come Vista's explorer interface shows the right speed? Is there some "lack of communication" between TC and Vista?
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Correct. You can use "compatibility mode" to get a more realistic copy speed.
Thanks! When the word comes from the Demiurge himself, I bow!