automatic update to newer versions ?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

his way the big internet providers would automatically cache the check in their name servers
How often are these DNS entries updated?
What do you think?
Well as long as it's works it's fine :-)
speller2

Post by *speller2 »

Lefteous wrote:How often are these DNS entries updated?
afaik once or twice per day.

Another question will they cache lan addresses 10.*.*.* ? For example our internet provider use 10.*.*.* addresses at internal infrastructure (routers, etc) while all clients have white ip address. My dslam address now is 10.1.1.3. Think sysadmins may disable caching of this local addresses.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How often are these DNS entries updated?
Actually this can be defined in the name server, e.g. time to live = 6 hours. Normally DNS entries are set to be valid for a few days.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Alexander B

Post by *Alexander B »

I found this topic trying to find out whether anybody had ever thought of automatic update of TC addons. Strangely enough, that's the only topic in this forum I found.
But it looks like a major problem for me. I use 50 different addons and there is no way to check for their updates, nor even to get a list of their homepages to visit for updates. Manually searching totalcmd net or even worse - looking through readme files for homepage URLs for dozens of addons - it's a nightmare. And using obsolete addons decreases stability.
Is it possible (probably not in 7.5, but at least in 8.0) to provide a standard way for addons to provide meta-data, including homepage address and address for checking for updates, and a mechanism to check these URLs if the user selects such an option? The same way it works in Firefox, as already mentioned in this topic.
ouzoWTF

Post by *ouzoWTF »

Although I do not use Addons regularly I think it would be a really nice addition. The administration of plugins for Firefox could be a good base for creating an own solution.
Single User Licence #201763
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

I'll leak the info that sb. is working on automatic updater for TC plugins. :)
wenntel

Post by *wenntel »

Alexander B wrote:But it looks like a major problem for me. I use 50 different addons and there is no way to check for their updates, nor even to get a list of their homepages to visit for updates. Manually searching totalcmd net or even worse - looking through readme files for homepage URLs for dozens of addons - it's a nightmare. And using obsolete addons decreases stability.
Is it possible (probably not in 7.5, but at least in 8.0) to provide a standard way for addons to provide meta-data, including homepage address and address for checking for updates, and a mechanism to check these URLs if the user selects such an option? The same way it works in Firefox, as already mentioned in this topic.
agree 100%
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

It is a plugin available called Versions. I use this for a lot of programms to check for updates.
Also I use it for www.heise.de/Preisvergleich to check current prices for different hardware I want to pay for.
This plugin "reads" a Website and maped the needed data between strings on the site.

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, I use a small custom AHK script that reads a .cfg file containing:
- program name
- version at last check
- URL
- regex to find version number
for each program to check and well downloads each page, checks it and shows a traytip if something new is found. I run it once in a while and see what's new. Just my two cents. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Alexander B

Post by *Alexander B »

Unfortunately, software publishers, including addon authors, are not likely to follow any common practice in announcing new releases unless there is a standard for doing this. The structure of their websites, the format of news headlines etc. may change at any moment and tracking these changes is hardly easier than searching for new versions manually.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Well there should be one official platform for addons and plugins. It's already there but in a very basic state...
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

totalcmd.pl keeps track on it and in all cases that I know, it's enough to parse it. I don't know, but I guess that's what the updater I mentioned does.