restart TC after update if it was running

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nursoda

restart TC after update if it was running

Post by *nursoda »

Hi Christian,

I really like the "Update existing installation" feature of the new installer. It would even be better if it restarted TC *if* it had to stop it during installation.

Olav
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: restart TC after update if it was running

Post by *karlchen »

nursoda wrote:It would even be better if it restarted TC *if* it had to stop it during installation.
Whenever you update the currently running T.C. installation, T.C. has to be stopped during the installation. Else totalcmd.exe and maybe other files will be locked and cannot be overwritten.

Karl
--
Most T.C. updates here - in particular during the (non) public beta tests - are performed without resorting to any setup programme. So I do not really care too much about the question whether the T.C. setup relaunches T.C. or not. I know how to relaunch any T.C. installation myself. 8)
Clo

Clap, clap !

Post by *Clo »

2karlchen

:) Hello Karl !
Most T.C. updates here - in particular during the (non) public beta tests - are performed without resorting to any setup programme.
• Same here, and now, how to perform this is added in the Tutos as a new chapter… ;)
BTW :  I would be in favour of a ZIP¦RAR¦SQX simple archive also available in all cases, like that exists i.e. for XnView… 8)

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Since we don't update every day, or really that often, this is no biggie to me. But I will lend my support for it anyway. ;)
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Clo

Nice for testers---

Post by *Clo »

2Boofo

:) Hello Bob !
…But I will lend my support for it anyway.
• Thank you ! It should be better and simpler for us (the testers), but also for the average users,
especially when they keep several installed versions (that's always useful…).

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

I can live with the manual restart.

If the installer runs with elevated right (admin account or UAC elevation) restarting TC automatically by the installer would mean that restarted TC would also run with elevated rights.

I guess the installer can use some mechanism like TCMADMIN.EXE to delegate the admin approved tasks to a different process, but is it worth the effort?

Regards
Holger