Invisible etc directory under 64 bit Win2008

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ricsip

Invisible etc directory under 64 bit Win2008

Post by *ricsip »

I cannot see the content of C:\windows\system32\drivers\*.sys files and the "etc" folder, containing the "hosts" file. I can change directory to "etc" if typing "cd etc" into TC command prompt.

OS is 64 bit Win2008. UAC is turned off.

Those files are visible under windows standard explorer. Is that a TC bug, or win2008 64 bit is hiding those files?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ricsip
I don't have 64bit OS but I will guess:

can you see any hidden file?

If not, try: Configuration -> Display -> File display -> Showhidden / system files.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Windows x64 has TWO System32 folders - with 64-bit libraries, drivers etc. and with 32-bit ones. Total Commander is 32-bit application => you see 32-bit folder by default (its original name is SysWOW64, for 32-bit apps it is mapped as System32), but in Windows x64 all drivers and etc folder are in 64-bit System32 folder => so you can't see them from 32-bit app.

BTW, you can make a junction for c:\windows\System32 folder - through junctions mapping doesn't works.

In TC there is an internal command cm_SwitchX64Redirection which allow to disable folder mapping.
Also you should see a folder c:\windows\sysnative - it's an internal Total Commander's link to your 64-bit System32 folder.
ricsip

Post by *ricsip »

MVV wrote:Windows x64 has TWO System32 folders - with 64-bit libraries, drivers etc. and with 32-bit ones. Total Commander is 32-bit application => you see 32-bit folder by default (its original name is SysWOW64, for 32-bit apps it is mapped as System32), but in Windows x64 all drivers and etc folder are in 64-bit System32 folder => so you can't see them from 32-bit app.

BTW, you can make a junction for c:\windows\System32 folder - through junctions mapping doesn't works.

In TC there is an internal command cm_SwitchX64Redirection which allow to disable folder mapping.
Also you should see a folder c:\windows\sysnative - it's an internal Total Commander's link to your 64-bit System32 folder.
Thans for the post, I always learn something new :) I was scared that some rootkit got installed on our server, and is hiding some system files.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Last year I had same trouble with x64) there also a key Wow6432Node in registry which remapped as Software key for 32-bit apps.
I don't understand Microsoft, why not just to make a folder System64 for 64-bit apps and not to redirect something. But we can't change this - so need to know. :)