opening directory "as administrator"

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Evds

opening directory "as administrator"

Post by *Evds »

If i use the command line to go to a different path (CD \\server\a\b\c) i get a dialogbox to open the directory "as administrator". After entering the password i can see my files and directories.

If some time later i want to go again to that path via the command line (CD \\server\a\b\c) i get an empty directory and no dialogbox to enter the directory "as administrator".

I can force the dialogbox to appear by pressing enter on the [..] symbol to go a directory up and then again press enter to go to the directory a just came from.

TC 7.50 pb4, Win XP
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Did you try to refresh panel with F2 or Ctrl+R instead of entering updir?

I tried to use "cd \\some_ip\C$\distr" first time, entered login and password. Then I go to local drives and execute "cd \\some_ip\C$\distr" again. All works. Even when I use "cd \\some_ip\C$\distr" in another instance of TC, all works correctly w/o entering password.

What exactly you doing to achieve such situation? How much time elapsed before you return to server folder?

TC7.5pb4, WinXP SP2
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If i use the command line to go to a different path (CD \\server\a\b\c) i get a dialogbox to open the directory "as administrator". After entering the password i can see my files and directories.
I'm surprised that this works at all - normally it doesn't because the admin and normal user don't share network connections. Somehow the connection must have been established before for the admin user, but was later disconnected.

I recommend that you don't try to use "as admin" option for network shares because normally it doesn't work.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Evds

Post by *Evds »

Did you try to refresh panel with F2 or Ctrl+R instead of entering updir?
Yes, no change
I tried to use "cd \\some_ip\C$\distr" first time, entered login and password. Then I go to local drives and execute "cd \\some_ip\C$\distr" again. All works. Even when I use "cd \\some_ip\C$\distr" in another instance of TC, all works correctly w/o entering password.
When i try cd \\some_ip\c$ (administrative share) i get a windows dialogbox that asks for the username and password and then everything works fine (no problem changing between local drivese and cd \\some_ip\c$.

when i try cd \\some_sandrive\patha\pathb i get a tcmd "access denied on file" warning and a button to open "as admin". When i click on that button i get a dialogbox that asks for the username and password and there i specify a username (and password) who has access to that part on the san. If i change then to a local dir and immediately back to that part on the san the directory seems empty at first.
I recommend that you don't try to use "as admin" option for network shares because normally it doesn't work.
Pity, would be a very handy feature...