Quick search for file name - regarding some special chars

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

magz

Quick search for file name - regarding some special chars

Post by *magz »

I'd like to talk some about the quick search for file name feature (using right alt) when these special chars are in the filename at source: [ ] { £ @ }

I realise that this is not a bug, but rather it is intended as a helpful feature. But I may be using the Quick search feature a little bit different than most. I use it a lot, but through scripts that sends the keypresses, so I get the selections I want in Total Commander for numerous purposes, no need for details there I guess. However; I noticed I had to pass these special characters one extra time, due to them also using the right alt key I guess, thats fine, no big scripting workaround, however what I noticed is that if there is a directory or file named with a number situated on the same key, Total Commander will prioritize the number. This becomes a problem when one wants to select folders with these special symbols if there is a file or folder with similar name but number instead of file. I will trie to give some example folders:

on my system 2 is on the same key as @, when sending keys through scripts or manually typing in the quick search TC will replace @ and set 2, making it impossible to select the @test folder.
@test\
2test\

same with:
{test\
7test\

or:
[test\
8test\

or:
te}st\
te9st\

or:
test£\
test3\

at least thats how it works for me, I have a norwegian keyboard, but I think it's Total Commander itself that replaces these chars in an attempt to easen the selection for user.

seems like a minor issue, but you'd be surprised how many times my scripts make the wrong selections due to this. And it might be considered an issue when typing manually also... though very minor then. Is there a way we can get an option to disable the replacing of the characters: [ ] { £ @ } which happens when a folder or file exist with a number on the same key as the special character in question?

or is there maby a way we can send parameters to Total Commander to tell it to display the files/directories in a given list file or something similar, thats a way other issue ofc, but then I wouldn't have to play around with sending keypresses to TC in the first place. Also would be neat to be able to externally tell TC to execute it's internal commands, without sending shortkey presses like I do at the moment. A way through commandline parameters to Total Commander would be very neat, but that is also another issue... I might make new posts for that later unless you shoot me down for spamming. I hope I don't talk about a previously discussed issue, couldn't find any on the matter.

Edit:
Just found this, I feel like I've double posted somewhat, but I'd say it's not entirely the same topic, just almost...
hxxp://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22683
(had to change the link to post it. rename xx to tt)

However what I do realise is this: I can set "letters - with search dialog" in quick search config which seems to solve the issue when sending my keys. I do loose the commandline option, but thats easily solved by adding the "cm_visCmdLine" to toolbar or making a hotkey for it.

so I guess I made a post to quick, but maby you still will consider making a more efficient way of telling TC externally which files or dirs to select/display. Or maby even implement an option to start TC's internal commands through commandline calls even. Well I maybe ought to make new posts for that after properly checking if so has been requested. Feel free to nuke this post moderators. Sorry for the spam. :)
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Have you looked into the commandline parameter help?
You could select a file on each filepanel in TC by calling it like:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD.EXE /o C:\path\to\file.1 C:\path\to\file.2
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Quick search for file name - regarding some special char

Post by *HolgerK »

magz wrote:on my system 2 is on the same key as @, when sending keys through scripts or manually typing in the quick search TC will replace @ and set 2, making it impossible to select the @test folder.
I'd just tried to reproduce your problem with german keybord layout, AutoHotkey, Vista and TC7.50pb5

Folder: QTest, @Test, 4Test, $Test
where
@ <=> <Alt gr+Q>
$ <=> <Shift+4>

No problem here.
So maybe you your scripting tool just sends the wrong input to TC?

Regards
Holger

Edit:
Uups. It works here because quicksearch is configured as "Letters with search dialog"!
Related bug report from petermad:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=174904#174904
magz

Re: Quick search for file name - regarding some special char

Post by *magz »

HolgerK wrote:
magz wrote:on my system 2 is on the same key as @, when sending keys through scripts or manually typing in the quick search TC will replace @ and set 2, making it impossible to select the @test folder.
I'd just tried to reproduce your problem with german keybord layout, AutoHotkey, Vista and TC7.50pb5

Folder: QTest, @Test, 4Test, $Test
where
@ <=> <Alt gr+Q>
$ <=> <Shift+4>

No problem here.
So maybe you your scripting tool just sends the wrong input to TC?
No, my script sent the right keys, if there was a "similarily" named folder there (like @test and 2test) I wasn't able to manually type the @ either . I think TC replaced them when the default quicksearch setting "Ctrl+Alt+Letters" was activated. I did a check earlier for the $ key, which is on the same key as 4 and also requires pressing r-alt on my keyboard, that special key was not replaced on my system for some reason either, may be this is a problem with norwegian keyboards, idunno, but it's not an issue to me anymore since that problem resolved when I changed from quick search setting "Ctrl+Alt+Letters" to "Letters - With search dialog", like noted in my edit above, makes my scripts way easier to code also. :)

Samuel wrote:Have you looked into the commandline parameter help?
You could select a file on each filepanel in TC by calling it like:
Code:
TOTALCMD.EXE /o C:\path\to\file.1 C:\path\to\file.2
Yeah and I find the commandline parameters good but to limited. I mean it's cool being able to open files and folders, and specify ini files. But what many of my scripts does is selecting a range of files and folders at source, like when u right click them. If I wanted to open them I'd use those parameters of course, but I often need to make a selection based on what my scripts find. So I'd like an commandline option to be able to tell TC to mark certain files and folders as selected, one at a time would do. Being able to pass a list file of paths to TC to tell it to display only the paths and files in the list file would be neat also.

But most of all I'd like to see commandline parameters which supports telling TC which internal commands to use on the current file and folder selection.

here is a example (where I dream that the /intcmd option would run the internal command, in this case error cheching the numerous archive files already selected/marked by my script):
totalcmd.exe /intcmd cm_TestArchive

there would be so many usages for this due to all the awesome TC commands made, and ofc. our user commands. :)
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

But you know about the possibility to send commands from scripts?
For an example see my macro ahk spript.
magz

Post by *magz »

Samuel wrote:But you know about the possibility to send commands from scripts?
For an example see my macro ahk spript.
:shock:
No I did not! Thanks a lot for the great tip, I will most def. dive into that. :D
Hopefully I will be able to use it in my autoit or vbscripts
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Your welcome.