Starting quick search with Alt

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jibz

Starting quick search with Alt

Post by *Jibz »

My first post on these forums, so be gentle :).

At the moment ..
  • If you set Alt+Letters as the hotkey for quick search you have to keep Alt pressed while typing the first letter which can be uncomfortable for some keys, it also blocks shortcuts like Alt-c to access the Commands menu
  • If you set Letter only as the hotkey you loose the intuitive functionality of the command line box
  • Pressing Alt and releasing it gives the menu focus, which duplicates the functionality of F10
So, I would like to propose adding the option to start quick search by pressing the Alt key and releasing it, like in for instance Dos Navigator. I think it gives a good combination of the above options:
  • You can perform a quick search with multiple letters without breaking your fingers
  • The command line box works as before
  • You can use Alt-shortcuts to access specific menu items
  • It doesn't remove any functionality (F10)
[/sales pitch] :mrgreen:
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

Have you looked at Configuration->Quick Search ?
Jibz

Post by *Jibz »

Since I am referring to the possible options in that dialog in my post, yes I did check it :).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can use letter with search dialog mode.
In DN and NC there was no menu, so Alt key was free from such situations. In Windows Alt key opens menu.
BTW, you can start quick-searching with Alt+<any_key>, then remove this key with Backspace, and continue entering search string.
Also you may assign any key for cm_ShowQuickSearch command to open search dialog.
Jibz

Post by *Jibz »

MVV wrote:In DN and NC there was no menu, so Alt key was free from such situations.
Actually both of them had menus, in NC accessible with F9, in DN with F10. In NC you used Alt+letter to start search, in DN just tapping Alt :).

I am suggesting it as an option because I use quick search quite a lot, and I think it is faster and a better compromise as far as functionality goes.

Of course I don't know if it would be possible from a programming point of view, there might be a Windows limitation that makes it impossible.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I mean NC and DN didn't have menu in usual for Windows applications) which activates with Alt) and Alt key was free.

Did you try to use letter with dialog search mode? Or to assign cm_ShowQuickSearch command to more convenient key combination?
Jibz

Post by *Jibz »

MVV wrote:Did you try to use letter with dialog search mode? Or to assign cm_ShowQuickSearch command to more convenient key combination?
Letter with dialog search mode has the same drawbacks as letter only (using the command line is not as easy and intuitive).

Binding quick search to some other hotkey would require more keypresses to activate it.

I appreciate your suggestions a lot, and I'm glad at least someone read the post, but I did try the available options in the configuration dialog and checked the forums (where others seem to have problems with Alt-letter clashing with other hotkeys btw).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I agree with you, Alt sometimes not so good. But I can't suggest any better cases. Maybe Win+Z? On my keyboard I can press this combination with one finger. Or any similar combination of Win key and a key close to it. Why Alt? Maybe you should try to assign F11-F12 key for cm_ShowQuickSearch? Also you can add a button on button bar. Therea are a lot of such suggestions. Maybe I choose one of them for myself. :)
Jibz

Post by *Jibz »

I could probably bind it to the scroll wheel on my mouse .. I might be able to make it so quick search starts when I open the tray on my DVD drive .. heck I might even be able to bind quick search to the power switch on my coffee machine :D.

But what I wanted was to suggest adding the option to start quick search by tapping Alt (or alternatively tapping Ctrl, but that's slightly more awkward to hit) because I feel that is a better option than what I can do :).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

On C your wish may be realized as something like this:

Code: Select all

LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hwnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) {
	// some code
	switch (uMsg) {
		// some code
		case WM_SYSCOMMAND: {
			if (wParam==SC_KEYMENU) {
				ExecuteTotalCommand(cm_ShowQuickSearch);
				return 0;
			}
			break;
		}
		// some code
	}
	return DefWindowProc(hwnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam);
}
It is very easy to catch Alt pressing. I don't know exactly how to do it in Delphi, I have no chance to try it))

But one question remains. To be or not to be. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

AHK:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
$Alt::
	ControlGetFocus, FocusedControl
	If FocusedControl in TMyListBox1,TMyListBox2
		PostMessage, 1075, 2915
	Else
		SendInput, {Alt}
Return
;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Jibz

Post by *Jibz »

I guess using Ctrl instead of Alt might be a good option since tapping Ctrl has no effects at all, whereas some users might use Alt to open the menu even though F10 does the same. Either key is reasonably easy to hit.