Using of action letter in favorite menu activated by mouse

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Using of action letter in favorite menu activated by mouse

Post by *eugensyl »

With the keyboard, I can access very easy and convenient &Desktop with Ctrl+D,D , &Program Files with Ctrl+D,P and &Total Commander directory with Ctrl+D,T and so on.

When ''favorites'' menu is activated with the mouse (dbl click on path) the activation letter is not shown as when is activated with Ctrl+D.
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
vic2009

Post by *vic2009 »

Strange, I don't have this problem. It shows in both cases.
Just FYI.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, eugensyl.

You were a bit too fast filing this as a bug report about T.C. As has been explained in the other thread, here, you should file a bug report about this Windows feature with Microsoft instead. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

For me the question is: Should this setting affect TC in this way?
Last edited by Lefteous on 2009-06-22, 18:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

karlchen wrote:Hello, eugensyl.

You were a bit too fast filing this as a bug report about T.C. As has been explained in the other thread, here, you should file a bug report about this Windows feature with Microsoft instead. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Thank you for your detailed explanation.
I will looking forward (MS) for solving this case. You will be all right.
In fact I can use this feature if I know the accelerators. That it's!
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, eugensyl. Hi, Lefteous.

The default Windows setting not to underline the accelerator keys is a setting which will affect all Windows applications, not just Total Commander.

When I first noticed the missing underline inside T.C. 7.50 beta x (cannot remember which one it was), I was about to file a bug report as well. But then I realized that Total Commander 7.04a was affected as well and other Windows applications, too.

In case a developper has got the choice to make his programme ignore this Windows setting, I would definitely appreciate if Christian introduced an option to do so.

As a rule, this is one of the display options which I turn off on any Windows system immediately. The thing is that I have not been able to find out where Vista is hiding this setting. (Maybe they relabelled it and this is why I have not spotted it, yet.) :oops:

Learning all the accelerator keys by heart and using them blindly, just because I tend to open menus by a quick mouse click, is not really comfortable.

Kind regards,
Karl
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Effects/Hide-Unhide underlined letters....

The reason can be found here.

It was interesting to find.
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

eugensyl wrote:Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Effects/Hide-Unhide underlined letters....
:oops: Are you gently suggesting that I allowed myself to be distracted by all the colourful Vista stuff and did not realize that the option still is where it is on WinXP as well? :oops:
<Added (back on Vista)>
No, the setting cannot be found as explained above on Vista. That is the way on WinXP. - Read how to change that setting on Vista below.
</Added (back on Vista)>
The reason can be found here.
Thanks for this link. - Somehow Microsoft seems to be caught in a binary world: you are either a mouse user or a keyboard user. What about people like me who have got two hands and use a mix of mouse and keyboard while navigating? :roll:

Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2009-06-23, 18:50 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed this is a Windows-wide configuration option which also affects Total Commander.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

[OT] How to get underlined shortcuts and keys on Vista/WinXP

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks.
eugensyl wrote:Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Effects/Hide-Unhide underlined letters....
This is the way how to do it on Windows XP (and presumably Windows 2000 / Windows 2003).

Here is how to do it on Vista!

Found it by googling on a Lexware webpage
(Beware: I am translating back from German now. So the labels may be named slightly differently. - The translation has been amended a lot based on WhACKO's message.)
  • Launch the control panel
  • Launch "Ease of Access Center"
  • Launch "Make the keyboard easier to use"
  • At the bottom tick the option "Underline keyboard shortcuts and keys"
  • That's it. Problem reported here solved for Total Commander and everywhere else inside your Vista system. (Phew, finally!) :D
Here is the original German text:
Wenn Sie Windows Vista verwenden, gehen Sie folgendermaßen vor:

* Wählen Sie Systemsteuerung - Center für erleichterte Bedienung - Bedienung der Tastatur erleichtern.
* Aktivieren Sie unten das Kontrollkaestchen Tastenkombinationen und Zugriffstasten unterstreichen.
Hope this will help somebody.

Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2009-06-23, 20:26 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
WhACKO

Post by *WhACKO »

Thanx for figuring it out karlchen!

On Windows 7 its Ease of Access Center,
then Make the keyboard easier to use,
check Underline keyboard shortcut and keys.

I'm pretty sure it's the same on vista, your's got lost in the translation :)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

That's interesting.

First of all, thanks to karlchen, I couldn.t find this option in Vista, and this was sad (Google couldn't help me).

I have some dirs in dir menu:
&Documents
User &Profile
Temporary Folder<tab>&3 (with Tab character, I like how this looks; BTW, this looks correctly only in NT)
Pictures<tab>&7

When I press Ctrl+D, I see D, P, 3, 7 underlined. But if I open dir menu with mouse (dblclck or [*] button), I see only D, P underlined (no underscores after tabs). BTW, all keys are working in both cases.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, WhACKO.

The menu and icon labels which you report for Windows 7 read much more like genuine Microsoft English than my clumsy translation does. :oops:

I wonder whether I should simply assume that the names will be the same on English Vista and change my previous post accordingly? - Done. :)

Thanks for your feedback. :D

Karl