Error with Irfanview

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Schultheis

Error with Irfanview

Post by *Schultheis »

I have a silly error with the Beta 5, which doesn't occur with 7.04a: I've gotten a Chinese rar file. If I unpack it with winrar or 7zip, there are nonprintable directory names. If I start Irfanview with a doubleclick on a file within such a directory, there is an error stating Irfanview cannot read the header. The directory names are displayed with 4 question marks.

With TC 7.04a it works. If I unpack the file with TC 7.50 B5 it's OK, too.

I can upload the file if desired.

Grüße,
Burkhard
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Schultheis
Does this file work from other file managers? Try to check in explorer.

I think this is IrfanView problem not TC.

AFAIK Irfan does not work properly with Unicode named files. It can open them from File -> Open menu using some plugin but not directly by double click.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Schultheis

Post by *Schultheis »

fenix_productions wrote:2Schultheis
Does this file work from other file managers? Try to check in explorer.

I think this is IrfanView problem not TC.

AFAIK Irfan does not work properly with Unicode named files. It can open them from File -> Open menu using some plugin but not directly by double click.
In Windows explorer it does not work, too, but, as I said, in TC 7.04a. TC 7.04a and Irfanview show this path:
D:\tmp\23E7~1\23E7~1\23E7~1\23E7~1\DSC00772.JPG

OK, seems to be an error in Irfanview, but on the first glance it looks like an error in the new TC.

Regards,
Burkhard
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try a button with cm_SwitchLongNames switch, it turns off long names temporarily. Then you can enter Unicode paths by their DOS name and open the files in Irfanview.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com