Cannot pack large files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

xsc

Cannot pack large files

Post by *xsc »

I tried to pack 6GB file, but I get error message "Cannot read file". It doesn't depend on selected packer. But it look's it depends on file size - I cannot pack every file greater than 4GB. The same problem exist in version 6.5.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2xsc

Hi and welcome!

Do you use FAT32 file system? If yes, that is certainly the reason, because FAT32 is is limited to a file size of 4GB max...
xsc

Post by *xsc »

StickyNomad wrote:2xsc

Hi and welcome!

Do you use FAT32 file system? If yes, that is certainly the reason, because FAT32 is is limited to a file size of 4GB max...
I don't use FAT32. The 6GB file is on NTFS partition (on FAT32 partition 6GB file cannot exist). But when I use "Pack", TC display error message.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2xsc: Which version of TC are you using ?
Starting with TC 7 it should work (at least using internal ZIP).
Note: a self extracting ZIP (EXE) is still limited to 4GB !

From history.txt:

Code: Select all

26.11.06  Added: ZIP self-extractor now supports files up to 4 GB. Unfortunately Windows cannot run EXE files >4GB
#5767 Personal license
xsc

Post by *xsc »

sqa_wizard wrote:2xsc: Which version of TC are you using ?
Starting with TC 7 it should work (at least using internal ZIP).
Note: a self extracting ZIP (EXE) is still limited to 4GB !

From history.txt:

Code: Select all

26.11.06  Added: ZIP self-extractor now supports files up to 4 GB. Unfortunately Windows cannot run EXE files >4GB
I tried it in TC7-RC2 installed over TC6.5. Now I tested again with TC7-RC3 installed in it's own directory. So I must correct, what I wrote before. It works with internal zip packer, also with Gzip and WinRAR (no other external packers installed/tested), but when I select TAR or TGZ, I still get "Cannot read file".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

GZ doesn't support files >4GB because the size is stored in a 32-bit field in the GZ header.

TAR could in principle support files > 4GB, but TC doesn't currently support that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Additionally:
Displaying the contents' size after entering the archive with Enter fails, TC displays the contained file's size as exactly 4 GB less than its real size.
ghisler(Author) wrote:GZ doesn't support files >4GB because the size is stored in a 32-bit field in the GZ header.
It seems that this has changed meanwhile:
http://www.gzip.org/#faq10:
Can gzip handle files of more than 4 gigabytes?
Yes, but you need this patch to the gzip 1.2.4 sources, or use the beta version 1.3.x. See section executables to download binaries with the patch already included.
(The linked patch is about 6 kB big, version 1.3.x is no longer in beta state, AFAIS.)

I have a working TGZ file (created in Linux, standard Knoppix distribution from 2007),
the TAR file inside the GZ is 6.882.713.600 bytes big (TGZ size is 6.372.505.095 bytes).
  • OK: Unpacking the contained TAR from the GZ works OK using Alt+F9 and even F5 from inside the archive.
  • fail: Packing the TAR with GZ using TC fails with error "Cannot read file", as mentioned by xsc above.
  • fail: Displaying the contents' size after entering the archive with Enter fails, TC displays the contained file's size as exactly 4 GB less than its real size.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that they changed the file format to support files > 4GB now! I will try to support at least the unpacking of such files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com