CTRL mal function on selection

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

CTRL mal function on selection

Post by *eugensyl »

I expect on files selection the same behavior as Windows:
- Shift+CLICK - continuous selection
- Ctrl +CLICK - select/unselect one by one file

On first Ctrl+CLICK into a file list two arbitrary files are selected.

I think this is not by design.

TC 7.5b6, XP SP3
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

All right here. Don't remember that in TC you always have one file focused. And now open Windows Explorer, place a focus on any file, hold Ctrl and click another file. As a result, you will have TWO files selected, just as in TC! :)
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

MVV wrote:All right here. Don't remember that in TC you always have one file focused. And now open Windows Explorer, place a focus on any file, hold Ctrl and click another file. As a result, you will have TWO files selected, just as in TC! :)
You have all right, but only half.
I said: Ctrl +CLICK - select/unselect one by one file.

First of all, with WinExplorer when I go to a directory none is focused and first Ctrl+CLICK select ONLY one item, compared with TC which select two:
- case A: item selected with Ctrl+CLICK and parent directory or
- case B: item selected with Ctrl+CLICK and previous item focused.

Maybe it's enough to complete the help file:

"To select/unselect files, simply click on them with your mouse or move to them with the cursor keys and press insert , space or hold Shift and press up/down arrow. If in the configuration dialog you chose to use the right mouse button, your left mouse button just moves the cursor. You have to use the right mouse button for selecting/unselecting items. If you select a directory using the space bar, the total amount of space used by this directory is shown. You can choose only to select items with CTRL+CLICK also, when item under cursor will be default selected."
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is not a bug! In TC, the file under the cursor is ALWAYS selected if nothing else is selected. So when you press Ctrl+Click, the file on which you click AND the file under the cursor are being selected.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

eugensyl wrote:You have all right, but only half.
I said: Ctrl +CLICK - select/unselect one by one file.

First of all, with WinExplorer when I go to a directory none is focused and first Ctrl+CLICK select ONLY one item, compared with TC which select two:
- case A: item selected with Ctrl+CLICK and parent directory or
- case B: item selected with Ctrl+CLICK and previous item focused.
Yes, I agree that currently TC doesn't unchecks file after Ctrl+Click if it was selected. Maybe this may be changed - if Christian will agree with it.

About your A and B cases: TC works similar to Explorer: in case A, it selects parent directory item which doesn't change anything - in unselects if you will copy/move items; in case B, as in Explorer, you have one item selected and after Ctrl+Click get two selected files.
Yuta

Post by *Yuta »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is not a bug! In TC, the file under the cursor is ALWAYS selected if nothing else is selected. So when you press Ctrl+Click, the file on which you click AND the file under the cursor are being selected.
It doesn't seem like a logical behaviour, specially for a new user.