TC7.5b6 disapears when selecting Play w WMP on a file

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

galanga

TC7.5b6 disapears when selecting Play w WMP on a file

Post by *galanga »

Hi,
TC 7.5b6 disappears (silent crash, apparently) when on a .asf or .wmv file I open the context menu (which opens correctly) and then either select the direct menu item "Play with Windows Media Player" or "Open with... -> Windows Media Player".

It works fine with avi files, and if I rename a problematic asf file into avi file.
These context menu items work into Explorer.

Using ShellExView, the menu item seems to be this one (sorry for layout, this is the result of the Copy from ShellExView):

WMP Play As Playlist Launcher No Context Menu Lanceur du Lecteur Windows Media 11.0.5721.5145 (WMP_11.061018-2006) Système d'exploitation Microsoft® Windows® Microsoft Corporation No No No No No No C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll {CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C} 04/10/2001 21:34:52 17/09/2008 10:24:01 Yes .au, .dvr-ms, .m3u, .mpa, .snd, .wax, .wm, .wmp, .wmx, .wpl, .wvx, AIFFFile, ASFFile, ASXFile, AUFile, AVIFile, m3ufile, MIDFile, mp3file, mpegfile, SoundRec, WAXFile, wmafile, WMPFile, WMVFile, WPLFile, WVXFile, audio, video A 99 840
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I assume that it's some other menu item which causes your problem, I have never heared of any problems with WMP. Try to disable all other (non-Microsoft) context menu shell extensions with ShellExView, then open the file again with "play" to check that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
galanga

Post by *galanga »

Since I post the message, I have uninstalled the 7.5b6 and reinstalled 7.04a, thus I just reinstalled 7.50b6 to try what you say... and now it works fine, with all context menu items enabled.
Today I installed VLC 1.0.0, and uninstalled it right away, maybe it's linked, but even if I reinstall VLC 1.0.0 it still works fine now.
Thanks for your answer, I hope it will continue to work fine by itself.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It could have been some remainders from a previous player installation in the registry which were removed when you uninstalled VLC...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com