New directory/file while a quick search is open

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wayfinder

New directory/file while a quick search is open

Post by *wayfinder »

I would like to suggest that when the user wants to create a new directory or file while a quick search dialog is open, the new dir/file dialog is pre-populated with the quick search string.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The quick search dialog can contain illegal characters
like: *auto??v

And the default behaviour of F7 is to autopopulate with what the cursor is currently on... which would at least be a subset of what you have typed into the QuickSearch field.

Perhaps autopopulating the F7 dialog with what the cursor is currently on, but having the inverse selected in the F7 dialog, so by hitting delete the remainder is removed.

For example, if the cursor was on: autosave.bak
and I typed QuickSearch: auto??v

then the F7 dialog would contain: autosave.bak
Where e.bak is pre-selected, instead of the current functionality where the all of it "autosave.bak" is selected.

Course I don't know how much use this really would be. Then you'll have ppl that will want the functionality to remain the same, and others that will want it to have what you've typed in the QuickSearch to be Selected in F7, instead of the inverse... so it will need to be a 3 part option.
wayfinder

Post by *wayfinder »

I wasn't even aware of the illegal characters thing

(c ô_>o)

In that light, the suggestion probably makes less sense. Still, I find myself quite often not knowing whether I already have used a certain name... I suppose my other suggestion to jump to the existing dir when trying to create a new dir with a name that already exists would get rid of the problem.

I guess we can disregard this thread then ;)