Syncronizing DIRS with long filenames/ filepath

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Glitch

Syncronizing DIRS with long filenames/ filepath

Post by *Glitch »

Hi

When trying to syncronize very deep DIRS where is uses the new feature:
Support for file names longer than 259 characters (up to 1022) in most file operations
It asks if i want to rename or keep it as it is.

When I choose to keep it, then it just says please remove copy protection, even if its trying to copy to a local drive with Domain Admins right and local admin rights.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Glitch.

Please, note that the fully qualified filename may have a total length of up to 1022 characters, but each sub-component like a foldername or the filename without the fully qualified path must not exceed 259 characters:
  • C:\[foldername 259 characters]\[foldername2 259 characters]\[filename 259 characters] is possible
  • C:\[foldername 259 characters]\[foldername2 259 characters]\[filename 512 characters] is not possible
  • C:\[foldername 512 characters]\[foldername2 259 characters]\[filename 259 characters] is not possible
Perhaps this is the problem.

Or the fully qualified filenames on the target side exceed the allowed maximum length when synchronization is performed.

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I also think that this is the problem. If possible, please post a file name here which failed to work.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Glitch

help

Post by *Glitch »

Hi

When I try to access this folder I cant get in before I rename the last folder "dc_p15b_fichiers" to dc for xample.

\\dkrmcpharchive\Archive\BE\Project\Project_05-31-2006\Old_Dell\B VIE ENTREPRISE\Travaux stagiaires\europe\label\conventions\Ovpm Charte international pour la sauvegarde des villes historiques_fichiers\WHC CONVENTION_fichiers\dc_f15_fichiers\dc_p15b_fichiers

When trying to copy files from this DIR:
\\dkrmcpharchive\Archive\BE\Project\Project_05-31-2006\Old_Dell\D PROJETS MARS\2005\2005-10 SNCF MODELES DE CONTRATS FERROVIAIRES\Italy\Emilia Romagna\emilia-Romagna other info\lombardia\ASR - Annuario Statistico Regionale della Lombardia_files\

To:
g:\arkiv-restore\BE\Project\Project_05-31-2006\Old_Dell\D PROJETS MARS\2005\2005-10 SNCF MODELES DE CONTRATS FERROVIAIRES\Italy\Emilia Romagna\emilia-Romagna other info\lombardia\ASR - Annuario Statistico Regionale della Lombardia_files\

It gives me:
Error: Cannot write G:\arkiv-restore\BE\...\ASR - Annuario Stat...\cfs_files\asrnew.js!
Please remove the write protection!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the info. Some questions:

1. What kind of drive is the target? A Windows computer? A NAS (network attached storage)?
2. Does the target support names longer than 255 characters? With cfs_files\asrnew.js appended to the path, I get a total of 257 characters.
Glitch

Post by *Glitch »

1. the \\dkrmcpharchive is a Windows 2003 server.
2. Target is G: is a windows 2008 server, I have no idea or no what is support about characters, but if I in total commander reach the targets below rightclick an press explorer I can browse both of them fine using windows 2008 explorer, but in Total commander I can dobbeltklik on the folder and nothing happens like if it was permission denied. I have also started total commander as Administrator even if im logged in as domain admin with is administrator on all our servers.

Another weird thing about this copying using windows 2008 is that when sometimes trying to copy a file from \\dkrmcpharchive to G:\archive-folder\ it says cant do when I then press do as administrator it works just fine.
But why do I first have to rightclick on total commander exe and press run as administrator to avoid the problem even if im already the highest admin.

Just to inform you, that im running total commander over network, meaning that I have installed total commander 7.5 beta 7 on a workstation and then using the windows 2008 to access my C$ share to run the program.
But that shouldnt affect anything right ?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

But why do I first have to rightclick on total commander exe and press run as administrator to avoid the problem even if im already the highest admin.
This is a security feature (UAC) introduced with Windows Vista (Server 2008 is the same base). Even an administrator is acting as a simple user unless he elevated his requests one by one ...
#5767 Personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tested it now with Windows 7 as the "server": It seems that it's not possible to access path names longer than 259 characters.