TC7.5 b4: unpacking multiple volume archive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

shinca

TC7.5 b4: unpacking multiple volume archive

Post by *shinca »

I'm using TC 7.5 beta 4.

When unpacking a multiple volume rar archive you have to select the .rar file to unpack, selecting any other file results in no action

The same goes for new style of multiple volume rar archive, where files are named .partN.rar, here you also have to select first file, the .part01.rar.

I also checked multiple volume zip and you also have to select .zip part to be able to unpack archive.

I'm guessing it is a bug since in the TC 7.04 you can select any of the files, except the last one (which is usually smaller) to unpack the archive using alt+F9
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is actually not a bug, but a feature change in TC 7.5. Explanation:
In Total Commander 7.0x, each part of a multi-volume RAR could be unpacked separately by entering that part and copying the files from it. TC 7.5 now supports the unpacking of entire multi-volume RAR archives.

The problem is that many users select ALL parts and then choose Files - Unpack. If TC would try to unpack the file for each part, it would try to unpack the same files again and again. Therefore TC 7.5 now unpacks the archive only when you try to unpack the .rar file, not the other parts.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
shinca

Post by *shinca »

Thanks for the info.

Actually I noticed that the background button was missing and I realized I was always unpacking rar files with external packer while the new TC does it with internal one. When I tested with external packer it worked as with previous version.

When using internal packer it also works fine if one selects all the files so that's another way to do it and not have to search for the first file of the archive.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

ghisler(Author) wrote:....The problem is that many users select ALL parts and then choose Files - Unpack. If TC would try to unpack the file for each part, it would try to unpack the same files again and again. ...
I can observe such a behaviour in TC7.5PB8 when several multiple volume rar archives are selected for unpacking. TC tries to unpack the same files again and again and asks me about overwrite. :?
But the worst is that TC gives no chance to correct the password if someone had typo. TC reports an archive to be broken and goes forward. The one thing one can make is to notice, what archive was overlooked and then unpach it separately(very uncomfortable). (by internal unrar-handling). With WinRAR as a handler on a typo in the password TC breaks the whole unpacking operation for the rest of archives, which is more worse.
Is it no way to distinguish between bad password and bad archive? Maybe ask for password again and again until user aborts reasking would be better in this case? I would prefer such a behaviour.

[added] sorry, I forgot to say. All archives in my test have encrypted names.