7.50 RC1 right click menu

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Moggy

7.50 RC1 right click menu

Post by *Moggy »

Why have you introduced a "progress bar" when right clicking on a directory or straight small text file? All this does is ......
1. Slow the program down (ie takes the same time to read a simple text file as a huge directory and seems to serve no purpose whatsoever?) In fact it spoils the speed of the function to no useful purpose at all? It was introduced in Beta 8. Which seems to me a totally useless function. Hence back to Beta 7 which did not have this function( Thank god!)

2. Why o' Why ever since you started this program do you insist on placing "delete" and "rename" so close together on the right click menu? how many times do I have to look at the "are you sure you want to delete" when I really wanted to rename a file!.... In these days of higher resolution monitors please at least put a separator between these two functions. I have mentioned this years ago and you still stick with the positioning

Note this right click progress bar is one big pain in the rear :(
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Moggy.

About the progress bar when doing a long right mouse click:

You can switch off this progress bar by setting the parameter ContextProgress=0 inside the section [Configuration] of your wincmd.ini file and restarting T.C.

About the positions of "Rename" and "delete" inside the context menu:

The positions of these items have not changed in T.C. 7.50. They are where they were in T.C. 7.04a, too. Moreover, they are where Explorer displays them as well.

Kind regards,
Karl
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The only things TC adds to the context menu AFAIK, appear before the first divider, "Search..." and View (Lister).
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it doesn't slow it down, it takes the exact same time as without the progress! If you don't like the delay, turn off right mouse button selection mode in Configuration - Options - Operation.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Moggy

Post by *Moggy »

Thanks for the tip Karl :) at least I don't get to look at the rather silly progress bar (that I am told is no faster or slower.mmmmmm) That appears to have no useful reason or function to be there?

ghisler (Auther) why on earth should I want to turn off the right mouse feature? That kind off defeats the object of using the program at all and one of the few useful windows platform based usages.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If you use Search function, you find that right-click bar had been made to introduce new users that if they hold mouse button something will happen. If you do not like it, just disable it.
Even more, if you don't like RMB delay, just use an Application key on your keyboard that will show context menu immediately.
For rename command you may assign any shortcut key, so you won't mess it with delete command. For example, standard in Windows F2 key, or usused F11, F12 etc.
Or even add a key onto button bar with cm_RenameOnly command - so you won't need to do a right click in order to rename file, just click a button!

BTW, if you do slow doubleclick with LMB onto filename, TC will allow you to rename file, as in Windows Explorer.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Moggy wrote:I don't get to look at the rather silly progress bar (that I am told is no faster or slower.mmmmmm) That appears to have no useful reason or function to be there?
A lot of users use RMB selection mode and complain that there is not context menu. They don't even read help file to know that some time must past to see it. Many users complains that TC does not have such menu at all!

This is the main reason of giving progress bar: to indicate somehow that there will be "something" if you hold your button little longer.

You can disable it or use Windows mode if you don't like it but keep in mind that not everyone loves Explorer behaviour. TC uses NC style as default and this should help to avoid complaining.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...