TC7.5b8 & rc1 - Can't find external archiver

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

M0rpheuss

TC7.5b8 & rc1 - Can't find external archiver

Post by *M0rpheuss »

Hello,

since beta8 i have the following problem:

First of all, i use the fhRAR plugin, with the internal rar extractor the problem doesn't exist (but i can't extract password protected multi volume archives).

If i try to extract a rar archive to a folder, which i want to create during extraction i get the error message "Can't find external archiver" and the settings dialog shows up.

For example, left i'm inside a rar archive, right i'm in the Folder C:\Temp and i want to extract into the folder C:\Temp\Test and "Test" doesn't exist before extraction.
I press F5 and in the upcoming dialog i expand the Path from C:\Temp to C:\Temp\Test. After pressing OK i get the error above.

I seems that the error only occurs if the hole path (in the example C:\Temp\Test) is longer than 52 chars.
If i extract in an existing folder there is no Problem.

I hope i revealed understandable, and sorry if my english isn't perfect :wink:
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

I doubt if your problem is related to path lenght of 52 char. Anyway, I recommend you to uninstall fhRar. It is outdated and no longer supported. Since 7.5 TC can work with encrypted Rar-archives without such a dirty tricks.
M0rpheuss

Post by *M0rpheuss »

I doubt by myself that its related to 52 char path length, i know that 52 is a atypical number for such a problem, but i can reproduce this on any drive, in any folder on my pc.

I know that tc meanwhile can handle encrypted rar archives, but it still can't handle encryptet rar archives if filenames are encrypted. Therfore i still need the fhRAR plugin, even if its outdated.
If anyone has a better solution to handle such archives i gladly would uninstall fhRAR.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

M0rpheuss wrote:I know that tc meanwhile can handle encrypted rar archives, but it still can't handle encryptet rar archives if filenames are encrypted.
It can. It just don`t show the content of archive, but if you press alt+f9, TC unpacks such archive happily without any problem.
M0rpheuss

Post by *M0rpheuss »

That's good to know. Anyway I would prefer to see what's inside before extracting.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It is surprise for me to know that TC doesn't support browsing of some kind of RAR archives...

I may suggest you to try Multiarc with original WinRar's Unrar.exe tool (it is freeware; you should find addon for Unrar.exe and add its text into Multiarc.ini and associate rar format with Multiarc.wcx) - it should support all kind of RARs. But you should turn on the console window of Multiarc - Unrar.exe will ask you for a password.

BTW, unrar.dll shipped with TC and unrar.dll which I get from rarlab.com (a bit newer version) both contain function RARSetPassword. So I think it is a TC misfeature that TC don't ask user for a password for list archive (for unpack TC does).

Anyway, console unrar.exe may list encrypted multi-volume archives, so Multiarc should help you to browse such archives in TC.

I think this may help while listing archive by unrar.dll:

Code: Select all

====================================================================
void PASCAL RARSetCallback(HANDLE hArcData,
            int PASCAL (*CallbackProc)(UINT msg,LPARAM UserData,LPARAM P1,LPARAM P2),
            LPARAM UserData);
====================================================================

Possible events

UCM_NEEDPASSWORD   -      DLL needs a password to process archive.
                             This message must be processed if you wish
                             to be able to handle archives with encrypted
                             file names. It can be also used as replacement
                             of RARSetPassword function even for usual
                             encrypted files with non-encrypted names.

P1                   Address pointing to the buffer for a password.
                           You need to copy a password here.

P2                   Size of the password buffer.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2MVV
You go the way, which is explored 5-6 years ago by author of fhRar. Whatfor, if mr. Ghisler don`t want to change this behaviour? You can read here or search on a forum for "fhrar".

As for your suggestion on multiarc: do you know, that TC don`t load plugin for rar until you define this extention directly? And if you do so, you broke repack of rar`s and must write packing part of addon also. Aside of that, why is multiarc better than fhRar? :)
M0rpheuss

Post by *M0rpheuss »

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately i couldn't get to work with MiltiArc (I haven't found a rar addon for it yet).

It tested a little bit with TC and RAR. The only thing which doesn't work is is listing files in encrypted archives with encrypted filenames. Everything else ist working as it should.

@Ghisler
Would it be a big problem, to ask for the password before the files are listed?

\\edit
OK, I draw the question back. But in my opinion this is realy disappointing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed at the moment it's not planned to show files in RAR archives if the file names are encrypted now. Reason: TC would have to ask for the password all the time even during searches, or every time you enter an archive. Also the user may actually want to hide the names when choosing this option.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

A bistable command cm_AskForPassword could be done for solving a problem with archive search. That would be an universal solution. As it is now, it is not upon to user if he wants to be asked for password, but to plugins writers, that is imho not right. 7zip.wcx for example also tries to ask password when searching in archives and this cannot be changed. If TC would have an internal "flip-flop", all plugins could be switched simultaneously. The second possibility is to extend plugin API in order to give an information to plugin,that supports encrypting, if it is called for search, or from filepanel. TC must call "ask for password" dialog only for ctrl+down then, not when searching. The worst case from all possible is as it is now (imho).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I agree that in TC there should be an option if to ask passwords while searching. And if not set, UCM_NEEDPASSWORD mesage for RAR archive with encrypted names may be ignored.
M0rpheuss

Post by *M0rpheuss »

2ghisler(Author)
I understand the problem and that it may much work to implement, but in my opinion (and if you search the forum, you'll see I'm not alone) this is not a "Nice to have" but a "Should have" feature.
Therefore a can not really understand why it's not planned.