TC 7.5 RC1: Problem when copy files to SD card

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vic2009

TC 7.5 RC1: Problem when copy files to SD card

Post by *vic2009 »

I like to enjoy music when I'm driving. So I ofen copy some mp3 files to a SD card (Secure Digital Memory Card), which can be played by my car player. The problem is: if I simply press F5 on a folder (an album), TC dosn't copy files in this folder in order according to filename, instead, TC is copying like 01.mp3, 04.mp3, 02.mp3...etc. The result is that mp3 files in SD card is not in album track order, so the playing of the album is not in order. My SD card can't sort the files in filename order, it keeps the order those files been copied into.
To avoid this, I have to make a folder in SD card first, then select all the mp3 files and press F5, then TC will copy them in file name order.
Not a big deal but still a little annoying.

Hope I described the problem clear enough.

I noticed this problem in both TC7.5 pb6 and TC 7.5 RC1.

Edit:
I just tried copying a folder from one disk to another in my computer. Press F5 on a folder, the copying order of the files is not always exactly as the filename order. So seems it's nothing to do with SD card, TC copies all files of the folder in random order, or is there any rules of order?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I think, though I am not positive, TC is handling the files in "unsorted order". If you make all the files have the same date, then unsorted order should be the same as alphanumeric FileName order.

You can do this by
* Select Album Folder, "cm_SetAttrib" (I have this on a button)
* [x] Recurse Subdirectories
* Set the date to something, or "current date" && [OK]

AFAIK, unsorted order = the order the files were written to disk.

If the above works, and if you don't want to change the dates on your files, you could just sort them in Name order, and Sync your Music folder to another folder, then delete the old folder, and rename the new.
weaker

Post by *weaker »

Ich hab bei meinem MP3-Player das gleiche Problem, weil er auch FAT-basiert ist. Wenn Deine SD-Karte auch FAT-Format hat ist das Programm DriveSort
ww w. anerty.ne t/software /file/DriveSort.php
extrem nützlich. Programm ist kostenlos :-)

Die Leerzeichen aus der Adresse musst Du rausmachen, weil ich im ersten Beitrag noch keine Links posten darf.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

That apparently is:
Fat32 DriveSort
DriveSort sorts the directory tables of a volume formated in FAT12/FAT16/FAT32. This sort orders the files in each folder according to their short or long names alphabetic order.
I can't reproduce this behaviour under Win2K and NTFS though, F5, Drag&Drop and SyncTool all copy to another Folder according to how I have the Source files sorted. Unless I select folders, then the contents of the folders always seem to copy in alphanumeric order.

F5, Drag&Drop and Synchronize Dirs, all function this way from my tests.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC copies files in subdirs in the order in which Windows reports them. On NTFS, the files are always sorted by name, because NTFS uses a sorted tree to store file names. FAT uses a list, so it depend on the order in which you create the files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
weaker

Post by *weaker »

Sorry, I completely forgot to post in English. What a bad debut. I'm really sorry for that.