Separate tabs process while waiting

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eltioseba

Separate tabs process while waiting

Post by *eltioseba »

For someone that uses TC every day to access networks, VPN, FTP, etc its would be great to continue using TC while is accessing directories, navigating, etc.

I´d tried Directory Opus and the only "whishsable" feature was that you can continue working in the other tabs, with a message of loading.

In the same direction, its possible to limit the tree to follow just the left window, tabs?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

you can continue working in the other tabs, with a message of loading
IMO, this should be taken for granted in the modern software era of multi-threaded applications.

TC should be the leader in this area.

There are several similar requests in the forum.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, TC doesn't work this way. It would be extremely inefficient to keep the contents of all open tabs, especially because they would have to be re-read anyway when you switch to them to ensure that they are up to date. Therefore TC remembers only the location and settings of a tab, not the contents (except when you use feed to listbox).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Another part of eltioseba's request was about having separate folder-tab-loading-threads.

In nearly every computing environment I visit, for whatever reason, some network shares load unavoidably slowly. Frequently in those situations I am not billing by the hour, but by the job, so I have a strong incentive to "get in and get out". When TC locks up while it waits for the network, I lose money. Literally. My current method is to dedicate an instance of TC to the slow shares. That works, but a "loading" message displayed in the tab name plus the ability to switch away from a loading tab (to another one in the same TC instance), then back to it after loading has completed would be great.

Perhaps part of the "TC is locked while loading" issue is the need to maintain that "separate tree", which is not private to the tab, but belongs to a parent container? Each folder tab should parent it's own private tree control. This would allow completely isolating the wait-for-the-share thread from the rest of TC, particularly the GUI.

Sorry to be so repeatedly vocal about this issue over the years, but it is very frustrating when TC blanks the menu bar and just sits there unresponsively while it talks to the network.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
eltioseba

Post by *eltioseba »

yeap, thats my exact case, TC locked too often and I was used too it, a windows standard. But after trying Directory Opus I realize that its would be a time saving feature.

I dont totally understand the "extremely inefficient to keep the contents of all open tabs" argument.

Due the TC locked/loading problem I have all network refreshing limited.
rzea

Post by *rzea »

Is there a way to, at least, have/make TC not try to re-read/refresh the contents of a folder when you switch back to it?

--

I have the same problem and I need to access several drives in my network here at work, and since TC 'freezes' when re-reading the network folder, I'm forced to use Windows Explorer because WE doesn't refresh the folder unless you press F5/click Refresh button.
It would be extremely inefficient to keep the contents of all open tabs...
That's what TC does already, keep the contents of all open tabs... :?
eltioseba

Post by *eltioseba »

I disable all the refreshing to the network under options, refresh and I dont suffer that problem anymore. Just while accesing the drives.
rzea

Post by *rzea »

Yes, it worked for me as well... at least for now.

Thanks for the tip.