major problem after installing visual c++ redistributable

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

t.siegl

major problem after installing visual c++ redistributable

Post by *t.siegl »

I rexcently had to install the "Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" because some other software needed it in order to run. Since I did that totoal commander basicly is not usable any more. the two main errors I encountered so far are:

- the windows context menu is not displayed correctly any more (for example there is no winrar stuff like extract here", extract to, ... anymore)

- ctrl+c, ctrl+x, ctrl+v does not work any more. I get the follownig error message:
Invalid floating point operation.
Please report this error to the Author, ... ,
Continue execution?
Yes No

Besides that it often crashes opening or closing windows, like the configuration window. I cant configure the external packer for rar for example without total commander freezing (at least not when I use the filebrowser to get the winrar location, when I type in the location it works)

When I uninstall the visual c++ redistributable everything works again. However I can´t do that, because I need it to run other software.

Is there anything I can do? Please help. I´ve used Total commander for many many years now, and can´t imagine working without it anymore.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Try and look here: http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Right_click_%28context_menu%29_crash

Or search this forum for: ShellExView
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I encountered this issue recently and fixed it by identifying the context menu shell extension that caused the problem.

So far, so good, only...

TC was the ONLY application I have that had a problem with that shell extension. Now I have to choose whether to use TC or enable the functionality of the extension and abandon using the TC context menu. ShellExView makes it a snap to enable/disable extensions, but it is still an inconvenience to have to do so.

Since no other commanders on my system were affected by the extension, TC must behave differently (than other software) with context menu extensions. Too bad.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2JohnFredC
identifying the context menu shell extension that caused the problem
Normally people encountering shell extension problems should contact the author. I hope you did.
TC must behave differently
Try this:
https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/samplerightclick.zip
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

The standard response to similar reports in this forum over the years has been "contact the author".

I didn't contact the author (of the extension) because it works fine with everything else I have except TC. Off hand, that strikes me as probably a TC issue, not the extension author's (though not necessarily).

My reason for posting today was simply to point out that in some cases TC seems to be less "forgiving" than other software.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2JohnFredC
Did you try the sample tool to which Lefteous pointed you? It calls the context menu like Total Commander. As you can see there, the called function doesn't offer to include/exclude certain shell extensions, so there is really nothing I can do to prevent the error from happening.

Btw, what other program did you try which opens the standard context menu? Please note that a file open dialog does NOT count, that's Explorer-internal.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hi Christian

Sorry, I have been out of town.

I have re-enabled the shell extension and tried it with the tool Lefteous referenced. No problems displaying the context menu on a file within the sample tool, but TC itself still beeps when displaying the context menu.

After TC beeps, sometimes it is totally locked and has to be pushed out with the task manager. Other times, I am able to recover control, but subsequent requests for the context menu result in a very reduced version. I have to restart TC after disabling the extension in order to access the full context menu once again.

I have tried the following commanders and encounter no difficulty with the extension: Salamander, SpeedCommander, EF Commander, ABCommander. Also, no problem in Explorer itself.

The shell extension in question is part of a much larger commercial software product (Rhino 3D).

XP Pro, SP2

To conclude, the "sample tool" behaves differently from TC.

Best regards
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It could be a problem with floating point exceptions: Total Commander is written in Delphi, which relies eavily on floating point exceptions. Microsoft C++ completely ignores floating point exceptions. Now when an explorer addon causes a floating point exception it will crash Total commander, while other programs will ignore it. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to turn off floating point exception handling just in the plugins, the Delphi library will turn it back on. The author of the Matlab plugin also had this problem. :(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if you can see any difference in TC 7.03 - I'm explicitly turning off floating point exception handling now in TC before calling functions like the context menu or property sheet.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does anyone still have this problem with TC 7.5 beta?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

I am not quite sure whether this is meaningful in a thread about Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable (VC80) and context menu problems:

There is Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (VC90) on my Windows XP system, because Avira 9 needs it. Yet, so far I have not experienced any context menu issues, neither outside T.C., nor inside T.C. Neither do any of the other listed symptoms show up here.

Total Commander 7.50a
Windows XP Prof SP2, 32bit
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I think that the VC redistributable wasn't the real cause of t.siegl's problems, so I move this to "fixed bugs" now.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Yeah I install the 2005 redistributable without problems.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.