TC 7.50a: bug or feature (file properties)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sorg

TC 7.50a: bug or feature (file properties)

Post by *Sorg »

When i access file properties RightClicking the file and choosing "Properties", i can see that date and time of the file changes. It happens if i click "OK" button for exit. In the contrary, if i click "Cancel" date and time attributes stay unchanged.
Time and date information is so important for me: i search documents by these attributes in my archives.

Thanks.
Clo

Nothing here

Post by *Clo »

2Sorg

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

• I cannot confirm here with XP-Pro SP1 (NTFS), even using the [OK] button, the timestamp doesn't change at all.
- For which files do you get that oddity ?

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I can confirm that with WinXP SP3 on FAT partition only.

AFAIR, on FAT partitions access date has been always changing on any file operation, no matter how harmless may it look like (viewing files properties is accessing too). This is either file system or Windows bug.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Sorg

Re: Nothing here

Post by *Sorg »

Clo wrote:2Sorg

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !
Thank you!
• I cannot confirm here with XP-Pro SP1 (NTFS), even using the [OK] button, the timestamp doesn't change at all.
- For which files do you get that oddity ?
NTFS too. Actually any file i try.

P.S. after restart this weird behavior have gone.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

When I open file properties, only last access time may be modified, not last modify. And last access time is fully useless (just slows down work with files/folders IHMO).

Regardless of button I use to close dialog (OK or Cancel), Windows updates last access time to current, TC have no way to do something.

Modify date can't be modified by Windows's properties dialog anyway. Modify date may be changed only after writing to file or if someone set it directly.

Again, in archives only modify date is saved.

If you open properties (on Alt+Enter or in context menu), you can't change modify date, this dialog can't such feature. :)

BTW, if you have some virus or other properties handler, it may change modify date (e.g. if its modifies file). :)