Speed of copy/move when TC is minimized.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Speed of copy/move when TC is minimized.

Post by *Postkutscher »

TC 7.5a final . Big file copy mode.
If I make a copy process in background and have it`s window minimized, the copying is much much longer, than if I have it im foreground (locally and in ethernet network). The calculated speed also depends on the foreground/background position of the copy dialog. Is it intentional? I cannot remember such a behaviour in previous versions of TC. It is like a "misfeature" for me.

Sorry I haven`t tested 7.04 due to time lack, but I remember, that there was even recommended to minimize a copy dialog during a long operations to save a processor time on percents drawing. So vice versa!
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Windows has this feature that gives the active window more cpu cycles than inactive/minimized. Although copying shouldn't really be affected by the processor cycles available, it might if your harddrive is configured incorrectly.

But wait, someone might have a better answer than me.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

Aezay wrote:Windows has this feature that gives the active window more cpu cycles than inactive/minimized. Although copying shouldn't really be affected by the processor cycles available, it might if your harddrive is configured incorrectly.
Exactly. It shouldn`t be affected by the process priority.

I have just retested with TC7.04а. It doesn`t have such a misbehaviour. TC7.5а has. It is very well reproducible in the fullscreen RDP session. If I start the copy of several GBs from one volume to another on a remote computer and then minimize an RDP window, I can observe reducing of the speed by a half (Intel Pentium II @ 400 MHz and a SATA Seagate HDD on a PCI Sil3112 controller). On a local computer ( Intel Pentium D930 and a similar HDD on a south bridge SATA interface ) such effect is also good visible(only if copiing in background), but it is smaller. (reducing to about 0.8 of the full speed).
I would like to see any comment from mr. Ghisler.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 7.5 uses a different copy function by default (CopyFileEx function) than TC 7 and older (ReadFile/WriteFile). Maybe Microsoft is throttling CopyFileEx in the background? You can configure the copy operation in Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC 7.5 uses a different copy function by default (CopyFileEx function) than TC 7 and older (ReadFile/WriteFile). Maybe Microsoft is throttling CopyFileEx in the background? You can configure the copy operation in Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete.
I have a already done this before my first post.
Postkutscher wrote:TC 7.5a final . Big file copy mode.
Big file copy mode uses ReadFile/WriteFile. Right?

Somewhat else?
tosbsas

Post by *tosbsas »

anyone found a way - I am an a new win7 system, fast hdd and all and tc is slow in deleteing and copying
A New Generation transformed by the Power of God
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Postkutscher wrote:Somewhat else?
Did you try to set higher priority level for TOTALCMD.EXE before minimizing it?
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

MVV wrote:Did you try to set higher priority level for TOTALCMD.EXE before minimizing it?
Seems to help. Thanks.
satyr

Post by *satyr »

Postkutscher wrote:TC 7.5a final . Big file copy mode.
If I make a copy process in background and have it`s window minimized, the copying is much much longer, than if I have it im foreground (locally and in ethernet network).
AFAIK it's just a new dedicated thread (inside TOTALCMD.EXE that's created) when copy dialog is minimized/put to background.
Postkutscher wrote:
MVV wrote:Did you try to set higher priority level for TOTALCMD.EXE before minimizing it?
Seems to help. Thanks.
Well, this certainly doesn't sound logical since as others have mentioned, copying (normally, that is in DMA, not PIO mode) isn't a CPU intensive task.

Just my two cents - :D ...

Cheers, satyr
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.