"background"-button for unpack

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SailorMax

"background"-button for unpack

Post by *SailorMax »

Looks like only unzip-process have "background" button in dialog window. Why this button not exist in other unpack-windows? unrar, for example.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2SailorMax
An author has already explained it few times: he can be sure that only his unpacking method is thread-safe. So in the case something goes wrong with unpacking, TC will still work without problems. You can do a lot of things while archiving without fear :)

In the case of other plugins he cannot be sure they are safe enough. So it might be better to forbid doing anything until the end of packing procedure. In the case of error you loose archive only.

At least that is how I understand it :)

PS. Search for "upack bacground" phrase. It's been discussed a lot.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Zyber

Post by *Zyber »

Yeah... I understand that, fenix.
Well, I don't care so much about other things like TC crashes or anything else. I would like to have the option to run unpacking in background(wich I can't in this version of TC).
Ok, I see that Mr.Ghisler can't trust all the plug-ins there is, therefore he can't guaranty the functionality of TC, BUT I see the solution, simple one...
Just add a line in options that tells you if you want "background" or not and it will be on your own risk.
Then anybody can choose whatever they want to and Mr.Ghisler will not be responsible for it.
Nobody will ask a thing about it! :D
/Zyber
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Background unpacking is quite easy to realize - just use external unpacker like 7-Zip/WinRar/etc and call it from archive context menu.
Zyber

Post by *Zyber »

aight, MVV, I know that BUT I want to use TC!
sure I can use external progs and maybe even explorer but do I want it? no!
should I stop complaining? I'm NOT complaining, I just said what I want and this function used to be there in TC, I liked it and I would like to have it back.

I even had a suggestion on how to do it. So, everybody will be happy.

Merry Christmas!
/Zyber
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Zyber, I understand you if you mean that Explorer extensions are not portable. But you may use portable archiver utility called from TC button bar or user-command and to pass archiver and sourse/target path to it - just another available way to do forbidden operation. :wink: