Working under ReactOS

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Borneqa

Working under ReactOS

Post by *Borneqa »

I install ReactOS under Sun VirtualBox. I run Total Commander version 7.50a. At start it shows access violation, don't show items in right panel and can't go to directories
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Borneqa.

Total Commander has been designed to run on various Windows versions. Total Commander does.
The Total Commander webpage does not even mention the term "ReactOS".

If Total Commander does not run on ReactOS this is a ReactOS problem, because ReactOS claims to imitate (which?) Windows versions. Hence this might be reported as a ReactOS bug in a ReactOS forum, but definitely not as a Total Commander bug in the Total Commander forum.

Kind regards,
Karl
Clo

Hard--

Post by *Clo »

2karlchen

:) Hello Karl !

On principle, you are right, but I would be less rigoristic in the case…
- Borneqa is also a TC user, even if ReactOS is not supported (yet?). It's roughly similar to Wine (which is supported now with TC 7.5…).
- ReactOS is supposed to run apps. designed for Win XP, IIRC.
- It could be interesting to get an info about the TC behaviour with this OS.
More users, more licences, isn't it ? :P

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Clo.

Wine is a Windows emulation which runs under Linux, so the opposite of Cygwin. ReactOS, however, is an operating system which claims to allow you to run Windows applications.

All I am rejecting is the idea of posting this as a Total Commander bugreport.

In case T.C. does not work under ReactOS, this cannot be called a T.C. bug, because T.C. does not even claim to run under ReactOS. It is ReactOS which claims to be binary compatible with Windows. If it were 100%, T.C. would run. Obviously, the ReactOS creators have not reached their goal fully yet. But who will blame them, as ReactOS is still in alpha stage?!

You simply do not post Total Commander bug reports in case you experience problems running Total Commander on any alpha version of any operating system. This is the point.

Hence, I think this thread should be moved to the normal English forum.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2010-01-04, 14:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2karlchen
Wine is a Windows emulation
wikipedia wrote:The name 'Wine' derives from the recursive acronym Wine Is Not an Emulator.
:roll:
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

<offtopic>

Hi, Lefteous.

OK. The term "emulation" was not well chosen.
[b]AboutWine[/b] wrote:Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems
And before you tell me, let me add myself, that Cygwin cannot do what WINE does. Cygwin cannot run native Linux executables on Windows. You have to rebuild them from the source for your Cygwin environment.

Conclusion:
All comparisons to be found in this thread between Wine, ReactOS and Cygwin were basically incorrect.

Karl

</offtopic>

<ontopic>
[b]ReactOS[/b] wrote:ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. [...] ReactOS 0.3.11 is still in alpha stage
</ontopic>
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have made some tests a while ago on ReactOS, but unfortunately there were too many problems with standard Windows controls (Listbox, Combobox etc) which prevent TC from working properly at this time, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com