TC for Mac OS X?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

paczor

TC for Mac OS X?

Post by *paczor »

Hi,
is there any possibility to see TC for Mac OS X?
I've tried many file managers for Mac but none of them are even close to the power of TC. I've read many Mac forums where is a high demand for such thing as TC for Mac OS X. It's a standard now in file managers domain.
Looks for me as great opportunity to earn money (AFAIK Mac community is much more accustomed to pay for good software than Windows one) and to start new adventure.
Hope it will happen someday.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

TC is said to work well under wine.
Clo

Not simple---

Post by *Clo »

2m^2

:) Hello !

• I don't think that Wine is usable in Mac OS X…
- Recently, Lefteous gave a way to use TC with Mac, it works but seems pretty complicated to install…
- BTW, my own daughter is using a Mac for one year and I didn't transmit the trick to her (she's rather a newby still…) :|

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Wine works on about everything including MacOS X.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2m^2
Wine works
Define works! When you take a look at the Wine log you'll see that there are a bunch of not implemented functions or function only implemented as stub.
In addition OS X specifc stuff is not supported at all - not even mentioning TC's visual appearance on OS X...

The only acceptable way to manage your OS X files with TC is a virtual machine running Windows.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

OK, I didn't try it, I just believed that when they said it worked, it really did.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The following programs exist for the Mac:

1. muCommander (GPL):
http://www.mucommander.com/
muCommander is a Java Commander clone, that works in Windows, Linux and MacOSX .

2. Xfolders (Freeware):
http://www.kai-heitkamp.de/cms/main.php?content=8

3. Disk Order (Shareware):
http://www.likemac.ru/english/

4. Fork Lift:
http://www.binarynights.com/forklift

I haven't tried them myself because I don't own a Mac, sorry. Maybe someone can test them and give some impressions here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

I tried muCommander like 1 year ago. It was pathetic.
h.p.jakob

Post by *h.p.jakob »

I tried them all and no one can convince me. Total Commander is the ultimative software to manage files and more, so it is a MUST to have it on the Mac!!!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Even if there would be an application that has all required functions - what about the reliability that is required for serious file management?

I have had real problems with some test files with Forklift and Path Finder - not going to use them with real files.
Dominus

Post by *Dominus »

All four are not really working fine, though I do use Disk Order most of the time. I do have a nice working Wine+TC combo but for everyday's work, including launching programs, files and so on a native program works better.
Another alternative that runs on OS X is KDE's Krusader which can be installed via MacPorts. Installation just takes hours since on MacPorts installation means compiling and just for running Krusader countless KDE dependencies need to be compiled as well, including QT4.
On Snow Leopard this didn't work so well the last time I tried, supposedly most of the problems Krusader had are ironed out now, but atm the fresh released QT4 makes problems according to the MacPorts mailing list.... Welcome to the TCless life on OS X :(

My take on all the above programs:
- muCommander is nice but too many shortcomings due to its Java base. I couldn't get a workflow going with it.
- xFolders has serious stability problems on Snow Leopard and the author himself warns against using it on SL. And apart from this message it seems that work on it has halted.
- DiskOrder is the only one I can get a workflow going. BUT it has serious problems, especially with the rights management of files/folders (when you right click and select information and you close the following dialog with ok, instead of cancel you will delete ALL rights for a file/folder). Also it seems it is no longer maintained as well. Likes to crash and take its configuration with it to file nirvana
- Fork Lift is just too mauch finder and too few TC (or NC). No workflow going for me.

other
- worker http://www.boomerangsworld.de/cms/worker
I'm loath to say it, but it is ugly and looks more like a multicolor commandline utility than a file manager. Couldn't get into it and all kinds of cosmetic settings didn't help...
- xfe (X File Explorer) http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/
On my first try couldn't get into it. Right now the new version is not yet ported to Mac.

Problem of Worker, XFE (and also Krusader) is that they are using all kinds of external linux programs that also need to be compiled/installed and some just don't work correctly on OS X.
Clo

Daily bread---

Post by *Clo »

2h.p.jakob

:) Hello !
…Total Commander is the ultimative software to manage files and more, so it is a MUST to have it on the Mac!!!
• Most certainly… However, we ought consider the Author's interests in that :
- Ch. Ghisler doesn't even own a Mac (that point isn't a big deal to solve for him, I guess).
- To develop such a soft needs a huge effort, and then how many licences could him get from a few percent of Mac computers users ?
- Is the game worth the candle ? :roll:

Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
h.p.jakob

@all TC fans

Post by *h.p.jakob »

@all TC fans

1. We buy Chritian a Mac
2. He adapt TC to OSX
3. We make sales promotion
I'm shure it works.
Thousands of Mac users will thank him.
TC is one of the best tools I've ever used on PC. I'm happy now, changing to Mac, but there is one thing I'm missing: the Total Commander!
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

@h.p.jakob

1. Christian will have to learn how to use a mac and program for it
2. Development will go half as fast for both platforms
3. It will probably result in not optimal up to date TC for both platforms.
I'm afraid it will not work.
And probably millions of disappointed Windows users for not optimal functioning TC (even now not all windows folder functions are optimal implemented).
Clo

And sources ?

Post by *Clo »

2h.p.jakob

:) Again…
1. We buy Chritian a Mac
2. He adapts TC to OSX…
1. It's an amusing idea which tickled me too :D Like I said above , that isn't a “Sine qua non” point…
2. Here is the hitch…
a) Time issue : He can't clone himself,
b) Could him access the needed OSX sources ?

• Please, notice that I've nothing against, I would be glad to have a Mac-TC too (for my daughter, I don't hold a Mac either).
- Supposing that Ch. Ghisler would start such a project, finally it should lead to a more expensive licence for this version, that would look strange…

Claude
Clo