BUG 7.50a: Filelist not properly refreshed

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

BUG 7.50a: Filelist not properly refreshed

Post by *wanderer »

Let's say a file is being downloaded in firefox (i.e. "firefox setup.exe"). I have set TC to display all EXEs with a different color than the default (in this example the default is gray and the EXE color is red). While the download is in progress, firefox adds a ".part" extension to the file being downloaded and also creates a "firefox setup.exe" file with 0 bytes size.

Image 1

When the download finishes, the "firefox setup.exe" is probably deleted, and the "firefox setup.exe.part" is renamed to "firefox setup.exe". When this happens, the list is refreshed (i have checked the "refresh when files are created, deleted and renamed" in options). There are some issues though.

1. The file being downloaded is shown as "firefox setup.exe" in the list but it's color is the default (gray) and not the EXEs one (red).

2. I have set the filelist to be displayed in Brief mode. When the file is renamed from "firefox setup.exe.part" to "firefox setup.exe", the new filename ("firefox setup.exe") may no longer be the longest one displayed in the filelist, however the width of the "name" column is not updated in order to reflect the "new longest filename".

3. The filelist is not properly sorted but that may be a normal behavior.

See Image 2 for an example of all the issues i mention above.

The filelist must be manually refreshed in order for the color and the column width to be properly displayed and for the filelist to be sorted, as shown in Image 3. Also, if TC looses focus (by clicking on the desktop), when it regains it the filelist is fully refreshed and properly shown (as shown in Image 3).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. TC doesn't update colors when file system update events occur. Why? Updating colors especially via some plugins can take a LONG time. since TC handles system update events once per second, they could bring TC to a halt.

2. This is also intentional to avoid heavy flickering every second, it would make TC unusable.

3. Indeed the file position isn't changed when a system update event occurs once it has been added to the list. This is also intentional to keep TC usable.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Thanks for explaining Christian. I believed 1 and 2 would be easy to solve but i guess it wasn't true. F2 (refresh) does the job anyway, so...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.