Context menu on Win 64-bit is very inconvenient

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ibmm

Context menu on Win 64-bit is very inconvenient

Post by *ibmm »

Dear all,

Give me a piece of advice how to allow the system menu items (those that are in the Explorer context menu) to appear in TC context menu. On Win64 (Windows 7 in particular) they can be accessed via "X64" TotalCommander menu subitem. It is very inconvenient, since I (as many other programmers) use SVN menus intensively. It is natural imho that on 64-bit system the 64-bit menu items shall be in the menu root.
Thanks in advance.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, ibmm.

As you are a developer, you will know that 64-bit Windows versions allow 32-bit applications like Total Commander to display 32-bit shell extensions in their context menus only.

Therefore 32-bit applications like Total Commander use a small 64bit programme like TCMDX64.EXE which can collect the 64-bit context menu entries. TCMDX64 puts these entries in the subfolder X64.

This may not be 100% satisfying. But it is much more convenient than not having the 64bit context menu entries at all.

Kind regards,
Karl
ibmm

Post by *ibmm »

Hello Karl,

Thank you for your reply. Well, there are technical limitations that prevent TC to show 64-bit items in its context menu (I nave a poor background in 64-bit specifics). So let's consider to provide an option to show the native (64-bit on Win64) context menu. It would solve the problem: it is significantly better to loose TC specific menus than be forced to to one level deeper to access the system (often used) items.
Thanks again, so please just tell me if such a workaround is planned to solve the problem or there will no any 64-bit support improvements in TC.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, ibmm.

There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding.

No matter whether Total Commander is running on top of 32-bit Windows or on top of 64-bit Windows, it will always be able to display the Total Commander specific items in the context menu.

If we are on 32-bit Windows there is only one list of Windows Explorer context menu items, the 32-bit context menu items. Total Commander will receive it from Windows and display the list plus its own list.

If we are on 64-bit Windows there are two lists of Windows Explorer context menu items, those using 64-bit shell extensions and those using 32-bit shell extensions.

Windows will give a 32-bit application only the 32-bit list. This is the case, because 32-bit Windows application run inside the WoW64 subsystem on 64-bit Windows which does not allow them to access 64-bit modules easily if at all.

This is why Total Commander uses a small 64-bit programme in order to get a list of 64-bit context menu items as well.

Dropping the 32-bit context menu items from its context menu and populating them with the 64-bit context menu items would mean a step in the wrong direction. Not every 32-bit entry has got a 64-bit counterpart and vice versa.

The inconvenience of having the 64-bit items in a separate submenu is minor compared to not having them at all.

The only chance of solving the issue for good is by having a genuine 64-bit Total Commander. Yet, it may take some time to get it, because genuine 64-bit Delphi compilers which understand the current source code seem to be rare.

Kind regards,
Karl
ibmm

Post by *ibmm »

Hello Karl,

A lot of thanks for comprehensive explanation. I just wanted to mention there is another possible solution. The context menu behavior on 64bit systems shall be made configurable. Users shall have an ability to work in the mode in which TC will show only 64-bit items in its context menu. This has some drawbacks (>>"Not every 32-bit entry has got a 64-bit counterpart") but is feasible, as far as I understand. If the latter isn't true, sorry and thanks for your reply anyway.

Kind regards, Ilya
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

BTW, I think that TC may get menu items using TCMDX64 tool and display them in usual context menu (with addition like " (64)") - anyway TC creates and shows context menu, so it may display absolutely any items there. Then, when 64-bit menu item is selected, TC will pass execution command to TCMDX64.

Also, I think that system context menu may be shown by external tool that will get filename from TC - in this case it may contain any items as tool's developer decide. E.g. it may contain 64-bit entries only.