A opened doc does not appear in "Recent List" of W

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

huer12

A opened doc does not appear in "Recent List" of W

Post by *huer12 »

If a document is opened from the explorer in windows 7, the name of the document will appear in the recent list. (Right click on the taskbar icon).

If a document is opened from TotalCommander, the name of the opened document does not appear in the recent list.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, huer12.

Well, it is neither Windows Explorer, nor Total Commander which opens a document file when you double click on its name. It is the associated application which will be launched that opens the document file.

Anyway, Total Commander has never bothered to add any file or folder names to the "Recent" folder.

Whether this happens or not seems to depend on some mysterious internal procedures of Windows itself. Maybe Explorer bothers to trigger this mechanism. I do not know. Total Commander has never promised to do so, nor has it ever done so. Therefore, your report cannot really be called a bug report, because a feature that does not exist cannot be buggy.

Rather I would consider it a feature request:
T.C. should make sure that once you double click on document filenames the double clicked name is being added to the "Recent" folder as a link.

Personal comment:
I remember that this has been discussed in the past at minimum once. If I remember right the essence was that it were not the file manager's job to add items to the "Recent" folder. So I doubt that such a feature will be implemented soon, if ever at all.

Kind regards,
Karl
huer12

Post by *huer12 »

Hi Karl

It depends a bit on the view whether it is a bug or a feature.

In Windows 7 the "Recent List" is a built in feature of Windows 7 of the taskbar and has not much to do with the application which has been opened as the list exists for all applications.

In my opinion TotalCommander should therefore make sure, that this list is filled accordingly. Whether it should be in the responsibility of the file manager to do so, i do agree, is questionable. But that is an implementation detail which is of no interest for the user. The user just wants to have this list filled.

So whether it is a bug or a feature, it should defnitly be implemented!

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently it's not planned - that list is (in my opinion) part of Explorer, and shows what you opened in Explorer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com