Translation [Polish]

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Umpal

Translation [Polish]

Post by *Umpal »

This is just a translation "bug" but it continues since ages.

In the file WCMD_POL.LNG the following lines have incorrect orthography:

Code: Select all

1539="Duplikuj tą zakładkę\tCtrl+T"
1540="Zamknij tą zakładkę\tCtrl+W"
1544="Zablokuj tą zakładkę"
Should be:

Code: Select all

1539="Duplikuj tę zakładkę\tCtrl+T"
1540="Zamknij tę zakładkę\tCtrl+W"
1544="Zablokuj tę zakładkę"
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Confirmed.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Umpal
Nothing new ;)

You can try (and check for errors) alternative translation:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/pol2lngbyfenix.html

Before creating my own translation I had notified Christian about it long ago and have even tried to contact with official translators to make language files without any errors. Unfortunately, there was not a single reply to my emails and Ghisler decided to stay with old ones.

BTW The word "tab" is also translated incorrectly IMHO. In many applications "zakładka" is used as "tab" and as "bookmark" at the same time. Since it may bring some confusions it would be better to use "karta" instead.

BTW 2 I think installer already uses my version but the rest of TC does not :(
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Umpal

Post by *Umpal »

Oh, yes, I like your translation. And I agree that "karta" is more adequate than "zakładka" (never thought about it because I never use Polish language in my TC - just old* habits ;)).

*ZX Spectrum times
Guillo

Post by *Guillo »

But doesn't "karta" mean card? My Polish is a bit rusty (been working with the romance languages for too many years!), but I would've understood zakładka for that use instantly, while karta may have been a bit more confusing... would you care to elaborate a bit as to what makes it a better translation?
This sort of thing really interests me, and I know how crappy translations can become a bit of a pet peeve for non-english speakers... be it file managing software or hollywood movies, they follow you everywhere!
Umpal

Post by *Umpal »

@Guillo
Well, it depends of the context. For example in English you may say: "Credit card" and "memory card". Both are card but both are different object. The same applies in Polish. In this case as fenix mentioned there are two different English words: tab and bookmark. We USED TO accept the translation tab to zakładka, but there is no left* any other word to translate the bookmark. In fact bookmark means zakładka in any notion and this leaves us only one proper translation for tab - karta.
But to be clear. When tab stands alone translation to zakładka IS NOT incorrect.

*There are synonyms like fałda or plisa but this terminology wouldn't be understandable by computer users ;)
balver

Post by *balver »

And "Tab" is consequently translated as "Karta" in Mozilla Firefox for so many years...
TC registered user: #172461
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Umpal described it pretty nicely IHMO.
Umpal wrote:@Guillo
But to be clear. When tab stands alone translation to zakładka IS NOT incorrect.
Yes but for consistency purposes I prefer to always have tab = karta. And I've already heard few times users asking why the same things are called differently in various applications.
balver wrote:And "Tab" is consequently translated as "Karta" in Mozilla Firefox for so many years...
I think it started with Microsoft's official translation guidelines.

Even if they can get things wrong sometimes, it is always good to look at recommended translations (tab and bookmark).
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...