[WFX] VirtualPanel: Temporary panel for TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, you're right, you need to start VPBatch from command line that is started from TC (VP sets some envvars).
It's a pity ...
You may create following scripts:

Code: Select all

VPBatch.exe {script contents}
And then save them as BAT files and execute from command line. :) So, you get script files.
radeknews

Post by *radeknews »

Hello,
is this plugin being maintained?

I think I found a small issue in event handling while in quick view:
I try to avoid having to use the mouse - while browsing the temporary panel files in TC quick view - I use tab key to switch between the file list and the plugin view, where I use viewer-specific hotkeys.

Well, it seems, that when I switch back to the file list (again - with the tab key) - the file is being reloaded in the viewer - I feel this is redundant.

Overall, it it's a very useful plugin and it would be pity, if such a solid work would be abandoned...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

radeknews,

I've checked it - you're right, TC really reloads quick view window when you use Tab to return back to filelist (tested with JPG file added to VP). I can't fix it since it is TC issue (FS plugins in TC are passive so don't deal with quick view, TC does it automatically), I think we should report this as a bug.
radeknews

Post by *radeknews »

MVV wrote:radeknews,

I've checked it - you're right, TC really reloads quick view window when you use Tab to return back to filelist (tested with JPG file added to VP). I can't fix it since it is TC issue (FS plugins in TC are passive so don't deal with quick view, TC does it automatically), I think we should report this as a bug.
Hi MVV, good hearing from you after such a long silence!

I tested this with the viewer plugins "Imagine" and "IEview" against the old FS plugin "Temporary panel" (TP) and they consistently show that this only happens with the Virtual Panel (VP) and not with TP.

I appreciate the fact, that VP is smartly pointing the viewer to the original file - unlike TP - which is making a temporary copy (like most other FS plugins). Perhaps this makes that difference?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Hi MVV, good hearing from you after such a long silence!
But I'm still here. :D Just waiting for new ideas and bug reports.

You're right, TP doesn't cause refresh...
jp_roth

Post by *jp_roth »

MW can be often seen here in the boards, helping around

folks, pardon the question, but how do you guys use this plugin? Some specific examples would be nice, tips or tricks :)

thanks and a happy new year to all
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

jp_roth,

Many users use it in different ways. Just try it. Some are:
1. A bunch of temporary folders (initial purpose).
2. Libraries (special folders with scripts that collect mmedia files from multiple physical folders together). You may create M3U-compatible playlists.
3. Another place for frequently used links to programs or documents.
4. Place for links to frequently used folders (a-la junctions).
radeknews

Post by *radeknews »

jp_roth wrote:pardon the question, but how do you guys use this plugin? Some specific examples would be nice, tips or tricks :)
Did you read the readme and this forum thread? - Both bring ideas and some solutions too. If you have and still can't think of an interesting application - then it's probably not for you. If you have ideas and are looking for a solution - post it it here.
sekular

Post by *sekular »

An idea would be to make a right click context menu and create virtual panel dialog window. Where you can select multiple locations from a browse folder dialog. I have just started using it and I find it quite tricky.

I created a virtual panel with the add command it works, but I was unable to figure out how to add multiple locations to the same virtual panel. When I used the del command nothing happened and when I tried to delete it, it wanted to delete the physical folders.

What is the command to add multiple locations, >add "test" "c:\test" "d:\test" ?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

sekular, right click menus are not supported by FS plugins in TC.
What is the command to add multiple locations, >add "test" "c:\test" "d:\test" ?
Just read examples:
Readme wrote:Example of command that creates >Refresh script file that will load video files from some physical folders into current virtual folder:
<add >Refresh { <silent <del *.avi <put . "D:\Video\*.avi" <put /l . "E:\Video\*.lst" }
So, you need to specify multiple <put commands to join contents of multiple folders (you may specify file mask for each one).
You simply need to execute this from command line, it will create script file named >Refresh. Then you need to set such script name as autoupdate script name in VP options.
sekular

Post by *sekular »

I don't want to load files into a virtual folder.

I just want one virtual folder to have the contents of several folders in different locations. Is that possible?

I tried using the script from the example but I can not get it too work.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Autoupdate script is almost what you need. Every time you enter the folder, VP will update its contents using script - any virtual folders that show mixed contents work in similar way. So you will see contents from several folders joined together.

Or course it is recommended to use flag /a for <put command to auto-rename files with same names.

After you create script you may test it: execute it and reread panel. If it works as expected, mark it as read-only (for delete protection) and enable autoupdate scripts in options.
billiebub

Post by *billiebub »

Mr MVV, any reason why modifiers like %P%N do not work with virtual panel? I'm using an external file comparison tool that uses %P%N as input and it does not work if the files are in VP.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Sounds strange. TC should pass real file name when you specify %P%N or just %N (%P is always empty for virtual panels - TC limitation), it was so for years. Just checked it now - it works. Tested with following button:

Code: Select all

cmd
/k echo {%N}
BTW I wrote a link to topic with TC limitations for virtual panels in first post of this topic. Some of them were solved but some weren't.
billiebub

Post by *billiebub »

Yes it does work with %N but not %P. But in the case of multiple files, this is where %S comes in which does not seem to work.