calculate space works longer than 7.02 version

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

puchol

calculate space works longer than 7.02 version

Post by *puchol »

Hi
A lot of time I work on version 7.02a, now I've tried 7.56 and 7.56a and I've got a question.
When I try to calculate folder space I see like folder's view is changing and there is question mark in size area, I think this thing makes calculation takes longer.
Calculation of 300GB size folder containing a lot of small files takes few minutes more than in older version TC.
It's possible to turn off this new items, I'd like to faster calculating than nicer view?
regards
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: calculate space works longer than 7.02 version

Post by *HolgerK »

puchol wrote:I think this thing makes calculation takes longer.
You think or you measured it?

Here its nearly the same time (10 seconds for the whole C: Drive in both versions).
Keep in mind that once the directory structure is cached by the system the calculation time is a lot faster than for the first time.

BTW: The main advantage in TC 7.56 is not that it looks nicer, but that TC is still responsive while calculation is active (background thread processing).

Kind regards
Holger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it should not be slower, except if other processes eat a lot of processing power or disk speed. Then it's slower because it's done by a background thread. It's getting less processing power to keep the system responsive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com