Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[TC 8 b17a] Settings file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC Behaviour which will not be changed Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rblock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: [TC 8 b17a] Settings file Reply with quote

Hi,

at installation time for TC 8 b17a, I choosed "c:\ProgramData\Total Commander" as settings folder. But TC 8 accesses the folder "c:\ProgramData\wincmd" with the settings for the current stable version 7.56a.

Hinting greetings

Reiner
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you can't properly install more than one TC at a time. All its instances will share the same settings. For me, the easiest way to deal with it was to switch other instances to a portable mode.

If there is a wincmd.ini in TC's directory and it contains UseIniInProgramDir=7 in its [Configuration] section, TC will use this file to store all of its settings. This way you can have several TC installations and all of them will store their settings in their own directories.
Warning: TC must have a privilege to write to its wincmd.ini (and also wcx_ftp.ini, if you use it).
rblock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

that's no good idea, because UAC will take a close I on this file and every time to write it you'll get a warning dialog.

Better is that Christian reconsider the current implementation and improves the handling of it. Because something is wrong in the design if all versions of a software take the same registry keys where to find the settings file.

Hm, as I could see he already did but there's something wrong with the implementation or it is still missing.

Image: http://www.feba-software.de/downloads/TC8b17a.jpg

Just my five cent of about 20 years of software development. Wink

Experienced greetings

Reiner
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rblock wrote:
that's no good idea

Maybe, but it's the simplest working solution I've found.
rblock wrote:
UAC will take a close I on this file and every time to write it you'll get a warning dialog.

That's why I said you have to give to TC a permission to modify its wincmd.ini. And BTW, if you don't enable that permission, you won't get any UAC dialog either. TC will simply not save any changes to that file, without any warning.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a bug, just an unexpected behavior (and nothing has changed since it was reported). Shouldn't this be moved to another subforum?
rblock

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umbra wrote:
This is not a bug, just an unexpected behavior

<LOL>

No Software shall write into the Programs folders but in the common ProgramData folder or in the user space. Exclamation

Therefore it is a bug and not just an unexpected behavior! Cool

At Linux/Unix it is forbidden and not possible to write into the software installation folders, too.

Headshaking greetings

Reiner
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2rblock
Sorry, but I don't understand. By default, TC does not write into its installation folder, so your last post doesn't make sense to me. You complained, that different TC installations were using the same configuration file instead of their own. That is intended and as such it "is not a bug, just an unexpected behavior".
If you wish, make a feature request (I doubt you would be a first one to ask for that feature).
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: [TC 8 b17a] Settings file Reply with quote

rblock wrote:
at installation time for TC 8 b17a, I choosed "c:\ProgramData\Total Commander" as settings folder.

Quote:
No Software shall write into the Programs folders but in the common ProgramData folder or in the user space.

Just for the record:
Only elevated installer may write to %Programfiles% or %Programdata%.
Programs running in user context are only allowed to write to the user specific application data path (local or roaming).

Regards
Holger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC Behaviour which will not be changed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: