Delete dialog never says "Move to trash"

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

justpusher

Delete dialog never says "Move to trash"

Post by *justpusher »

When pressing F8, Shift+F8, Del, Shift+Del, I get the following dialog:
"Do you really want to delete the selected file xxx.xxx?"
regardless of option F8/Del to recycle bin.
It's hard to distinguish permanent deletion and moving to trash.
I think TC should say "Do you really want to move to recycle bin" in appropriate cases. It will make the work easier.

I'm using:
Total Commander Version 7.57 32 bit (24.2.2012)
Windows 7 Professional build 7601 Service Pack 1.

I tried running TC with empty config file, the behavior is the same.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, justpusher.

You are using Windows 7. Therefore it is worth checking whether the section [Configuration] in the file wincmd.ini holds the setting VistaDelete=0.
If so change it to read VistaDelete=1 and restart T.V.
If the setting does not exist at all add VistaDelete=1 to the section [Configuration] and restart T.C.

After you have activated VistaDelete for deleting to the recycle bin you should be able to tell deleting to the recycle bin and deleting directly apart:
When deleting to the recycle bin you should be asked for confirmation by Windows.
When deleting bypassing the recycle bin you should be asked for confirmation by Total Commander.
You will notice the visual differences between the two confirmation dialogs.

Pleasant side effect (in fact, main goal) of using VistaDelete on Vista and above:
Deleting a large number of objects should be much faster than before and cause less load on memory and CPU than before.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
justpusher

Post by *justpusher »

Thank you for your reply, Karl,

I had not this option in config file. After I added VistaDelete=1, I've seen what I want.

Now I have some questions:
Why isn't this option shown in GUI options? Why the default value is 0? Is it unstable or buggy now?
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Hi, justpusher, this setting is not unstable nor buggy. Actually, in TC 8.0 it is enabled by default (in some cases it significantly speeds up the delete operation). One of the reasons why it was disabled can be found in TC's help:
Warning: This method doesn't warn about read only, hidden or system files, or non-empty directories, just like the Explorer! Do not use if you have manually disabled the recycle bin on certain drives!
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I haven't enabled VistaDelete in TC7.57 because it's just a bugfix release. Enabling it by default would be a major feature change. But you can enable it manually, it's safe to use it now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
justpusher

Post by *justpusher »

Thanks to all for the replies.

Special thanks and respect to Christian Ghisler for creating Total Commander. It's great, I'm using it for about 10 years.