TC hangs when refresh network drive

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AdrianB1

Post by *AdrianB1 »

I got the same problem since version 8 beta 22 (I haven't use any older betas of ver. 8) and it is still present with the current last release.

I can reproduce it every time on my computer, there is no problem on my brother's computer that is using an older version of TC (7.something). On the computer I have both have Win 7 x64 and I am running 64 bit TC. When I open \\Network it takes a very long time to display anything (if I do anything TC freezes) or forever, this depends. Network is IPv4 only with a couple of dozens different devices, including computers with Windows, FreeBSD, routers, TV, WD TV player, audio receiver etc.

If it help in any way, my way to get TC back working is to close it and get to wincmd.ini and delete the current folder, then restart TC on C drive; this will not make the network run, but at least I can use it for local drives.

More info:
- Left history looks like this:
0=::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}|\\Network (WORKGROUP)\
- if I map a drive and assign a letter it works opening it in an instant
- browsing the network from Explorer works fine, it takes maybe 10 seconds to display all devices (WIndows PC's very fast, FreeBSD always last)
- browsing the network with TC from my brother's computer works fine, a bit slow but nothing too bad
joker

Post by *joker »

I don't understand why it's possible that Total Commander hangs at all when accessing network drives.
In my opinion the refreshing should run in a separate thread which should definitely NEVER be able to lock the main thread.
It's a shame when Total Commander is locking up because of a very slow network path and it's even more a shame that the refreshing process cannot be aborted with ESC!!! :evil:
BullFrog

Post by *BullFrog »

Up, still a problem
skyd

Post by *skyd »

Same behavior with v8.51a on Win 8.1 64-bit.
Not doing anything special - just going to Network and then WORKGROUP.

I'm only reporting now, but am experiencing this issue for a very long time already.

Is there any way to boost priority on this one?
a110011

Post by *a110011 »

Network: 100/1000 Mb
Clients shares from: Samba (on Debian, Arch and Ubuntu), Windows 7, 8.1, XP Embedded
Accessing shares from Windows explorer work without a fail, browsing local network works. But whenever i try to access \\Network (Workgroup) TC freezes and nothing works but to kill it from task manager. I think this should be priority one bug to fix it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Have you tried a newer version of TC? 7.5x is very old.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
joker

Post by *joker »

v9.0a
The bug is still present. Never fixed. Always the same, for everyone who has to work on slow network shares.

Allow me to repeat the question: Why don't you allow your users - who partly also buy your software for real money(!) - to abort hanging network requests by pressing the escape key?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Which requests do you mean? Virtual folders like \\server or real directories like \\server\share?

In TC9, the reading of virtual folders like \\server is now done entirely in a background thread and can be aborted.

Reading of \\server\share is partially done in a background thread: FindFirstFile is called in background, but FindNextFile and FindClose are not. This is usually OK because normally the network doesn't go down in the middle of reading a directory. But if that happens, FindNextFile will hang.

TC has to call the read loop in the foreground because the content plugins which have to be called for some custom columns are not guaranteed to be thread safe.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
joker

Post by *joker »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC has to call the read loop in the foreground because the content plugins which have to be called for some custom columns are not guaranteed to be thread safe.
Now it is clear. Thanks for the explanation. I hope this can be improved in the future.