Copy / Move / delete confirmation dialogs

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

alex27a

Copy / Move / delete confirmation dialogs

Post by *alex27a »

I think it would be very very useful if on copy / move / delete functions, Total Commander could put in a queue all the question it has to ask and try to do the tasks that it can actually do.

Usually these functions require supervision because TC always finds something to ask even if you set it to "skip all" ... I have been frustated a lot of times when I've asked it to do a huge task (copy or move the whole hard drive), went away and after I came back in several hours to find back that it has actually done 1% of the job just because it is wating for user input regarding a question like "whould you like to copy this file who has more than 255 characters" or "cannot copy some windows system file" etc ...

Thanks.
[Yustas.NeO]

Post by *[Yustas.NeO] »

Support!!!
For example to collect such messages in a separate log window with the "ok" button.

Also propose to duplicate (eg tiny buttons with menus) on the window of the copy/rename -options "overwrite" "rename" etc. - often I forget to put them ahead of time and have to wait to the first issue to press "yes to all"...
I beg pardon for bad English.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Copy / Move / delete confirmation dialogs

Post by *CoolWater »

alex27a wrote:I think it would be very very useful if on copy / move / delete functions, Total Commander could put in a queue all the question it has to ask and try to do the tasks that it can actually do.

Usually these functions require supervision because TC always finds something to ask even if you set it to "skip all" ... I have been frustated a lot of times when I've asked it to do a huge task (copy or move the whole hard drive), went away and after I came back in several hours to find back that it has actually done 1% of the job just because it is wating for user input regarding a question like "whould you like to copy this file who has more than 255 characters" or "cannot copy some windows system file" etc ...

Thanks.
Concerning filenames longer than 259 chars, you could add the following line to wincmd.ini in order to make TC always copy those files:

Code: Select all

LongNameCopy=1
HTH,
CoolWater
myownemail32

could not delete file [the target name length (327) ...

Post by *myownemail32 »

i have posted about this kind of issue too. the only one left i have to fight is when i do a deletion of files that are a super-long-length.

Could not delete file: The target name length (327) is more than 259 characters!

stops the deletion and gives me a prompt.

anybody got a solution to prevent this question from being asked?

i too would like a silent copy/delete/whatever of everything that it can, suppressing ALL error messages and dialogs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check that, there should be no warning.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have checked it now: You get this error when you try to delete a file with a very long name to Recycle bin. Currently the Recycle bin doesn't support such long names. TC doesn't delete the file directly to avoid possible data loss, but warns the user instead. Unfortunately there was no time to get a translation for a warning about recycle bin, so TC only warns about the length.

Try deleting the file with Shift+Del instead.
myownemail32

Post by *myownemail32 »

BOOM!

You are correct Christian!

this is a do-able workaround for me.

I did test with the shift-f8, and it deleted fine.

also, just a note for you, my recycle bin was set to "delete without sending to recycle bin" when i didn't push shift-f8....

by the way, thanks for the responses. you are an awesome developer, to respond and follow up as you have done with all my questions. ever take vacations? or are you in front of a terminal all day like me? LOL

and, total commander is the program that makes windows "usable" because if i had to deal with explorer.exe as a "file manager" i would be writing this from an insane asylum.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, I do take vacations, but I take a netbook with me and connect to the Internet via UMTS. :)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Christian,
I think it would be great to learn TC (at least BTM) to postpone messages. E.g. yesterday I added a lot of copy tasks in order to transfer huge ammount of data to new HDD and today I saw that TC waits with message that some particular file can't be read... and a lot of tasks are still waiting in the queue...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm indeed looking for a solution for unattended copying. However, it's not that easy - for example, if a disk is removed or a network PC turned off, all operations would fail if there weren't a message to the user on the first.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Christian,

How about grouping the queue on destination? Before starting on such a group you could check the availability of the destination. If the destination is not available, just move on to the next group. It would be safe to assume that if the destination is not present because it is a removable (and removed) or network location (and off-line) it is no use to retry for every single file operation. A group single message after finishing the other queue group items would be enough to warn the user.
You might want to check the TeraCopy queue implementation for ideas. If some file operation cannot be executed (also for unreadable source files), it is skipped and logged. The user can afterwards 'clean up' all successful results and see all failures. After fixing the problem (e.g. network drive had a red cross but is being re-enabled) the remaining operations can be re-executed.

Regards, EricB
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe TC could create list of incorrectly copied objects and allow user to retry processing...
humb20

Post by *humb20 »

This may have been asked before, but I can't find it. Is there any way to disable the copy or move confirmation prompt? Preferences -> Misc allows you to disable overwrite and delete non-empty directory prompt - nowhere is simple copy and move mentioned anywhere. Any ideas? :?:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, sorry.
BrainSlugs83

Post by *BrainSlugs83 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm indeed looking for a solution for unattended copying. However, it's not that easy - for example, if a disk is removed or a network PC turned off, all operations would fail if there weren't a message to the user on the first.
Hi Christian, this is my first post here, but I've been using TC for years (I'm registered too!) -- and I sometimes stumble on to these forums and see the discussions on various issues -- but I really wanted to respond to this comment, so I went ahead and joined the forum. [I know the thread is a little old, but hopefully you'll see my response. :) ]

I want to point out that what you describe above is not the asked for feature. No operation should "fail", because you're still waiting for user feedback on those operations -- the point is: waiting for that feedback shouldn't block the rest of the batch operation. -- TC can (and should :!: ) still ask whatever question it was going to ask.

For example: It's very frustrating when 3% of the files you want to copy have some random issue, and so the other 97% don't get copied, because TC stopped to ask a question. Why not ask the question without stopping. For some scenarios, like you mention, it won't make a lot of difference -- but -- it also doesn't make them any worse -- However, for many scenarios, like mine above (and the original feature requester's) it will make a night-and-day improvement.

If multiple items get added to that queue, because they need user feedback, that's fine. But there's no way it could "fail" an entire drive without user feedback -- it would only "skip" it, continue copying everything else (if there was anything else it could copy), while prompting for the feedback on those items in the waiting-for-feedback queue.

If all of the files had the same issue though, and you needed an answer (like in the scenario you mentioned), it wouldn't be any worse than what we have right now.

To illustrate, let's say you begin a massive copy operation, and TC hits a problem file, so, it needs to ask the user a question -- that question comes up on the screen (just like now -- or in a different UI -- doesn't matter) -- but the copy moves on to the next file and then continues the process for all of the files instead of waiting for user input.

Once the user answers the question, that file is moved back into the queue, as the next file to be processed with the option the user specified.

(Additionally, if they checked the "yes to all" checkbox, then any other file with the same question waiting to be answered shouldn't have to ask.)

"Sequential pop-ups" (i.e. question #2 doesn't pop-up until the user has answered question #1, etc.) is probably the easiest to implement. -- But you could do lots of other things too, like you could make the copy dialog box taller and show the queued prompt(s) below it (showing only one, or showing them all in a list, maybe grouping them by type, or maybe tabbing them, etc.) -- but honestly, again, sequential, non-modal, pop-ups are just fine with me.
Last edited by BrainSlugs83 on 2014-03-13, 03:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.