Slow rendeing in version 8 and higher

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

stingo000

Slow rendeing in version 8 and higher

Post by *stingo000 »

TC 8 has worse performance compared to version 7.56. Try this experiment.
Open both versions of TC and try to resize by quickly pulling the bottom of the window. In 7.56 it resizes smoothly (quickly), but v 8 can not keep up rending and a black stripe at the bottom is flickering while you are moving the lower boundary down. The similar issues can be observed in other circumstances like restoring window, entering new folder with many files. Those are less pronounced, but the flicker is still noticeable. This is a little disappointing to see this sort of degradation. Is this related to the move to lazarus? What is the cause? Thanks.

specs: Windows 7 64 on quadcore
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

stingo000,
Total Commander 8 32-bit is still compiled with Delphi while Total Commander 8 64-bit is compiled with Lazarus.

BTW I compared TC 7.04a, TC 8.01x32 and TC 8.01x64: all three show the same flickering. :D I'm using classic Windows 7 theme (not Aero or Basic but old good classic theme).

Also I tried TC 7.56a: result is the same as above. I don't see any difference in mentioned versions' behaviour when I drag window corner and do circular mouse movements.
stingo000

Post by *stingo000 »

Too unfortunate you deny the obvious or can not reproduce. There is zero flicker at the bottom part in my test with 7.56a and 8.01 consistently shows black line if you quickly drag down the bottom side (not corner). We need more people to run this test. I am using default windows 7 theme with aero.
But yes you can make 7.56 flicker too if you drag the corner to the right. The 8 though has more flickering, i.e it is slow in redrawing.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I tried to drag bottom border (not corner) in TC 8.01x32 and TC 7.56a: still no difference. No black lines, only flickering of child windows.

You can try to switch to classic theme for comparison (it is harder for me to switch to Aero because I've disabled theme, service, styles etc).
stingo000

Post by *stingo000 »

[quote="MVV"]I tried to drag bottom border (not corner) in TC 8.01x32 and TC 7.56a: still no difference. No black lines, only flickering of child windows.

You can try to switch to classic theme for comparison (it is harder for me to switch to Aero because I've disabled theme, service, styles etc).[/quote]

I noticed that I was running totalcmd64.exe (it also says x64 in the title), but when I launched totalcmd.exe there is indeed no such problem. So is it 64 bit version which is slow/buggy? Could you please try to run totalcmd64.exe? Spasibo.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

As I said, 64-bit version is built with Lazarus so it may be the reason.

Anyway, I tried 64-bit version too and I haven't seen any serious difference.
stingo000

Post by *stingo000 »

[quote="MVV"]As I said, 64-bit version is built with Lazarus so it may be the reason.

Anyway, I tried 64-bit version too and I haven't seen any serious difference.[/quote]

Wait, I thought version 8 was all built in lazarus and compiled both in 32 and 64 bit.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please reread my first post in this topic. :wink:
MVV wrote:Total Commander 8 32-bit is still compiled with Delphi while Total Commander 8 64-bit is compiled with Lazarus.
You can compare file sizes: Lazarus one is almost two times bigger.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 8 is doing some more full redraws because of problems with font smoothing in some situations (text becoming darker and darker on each refresh).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

2ghisler(Author)

looks like the label control content is redrawn without erasing before. This causes such an effect. probably the label paint process should paint to a mem dc and finally bitblt to screen dc. This avoids flickering and is label-sensitive, i.e. no full redraw is neccessary.