Weird main window font rendering

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It would be very helpful if I could reproduce it. Currently TC does double buffering of static text only when themes are OFF: When themes are ON, Windows does the double buffering by itself, and then we should never see these effects. That's why I'm very surprised that you get this problem with themes on.

Maybe you can give me step by step instructions (starting with a fresh empty ini file) how to reproduce the problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

As Sob wrote:

1. Start TC with a fresh.ini
2. Press <Esc> and keep the key hold down (don't know if this matter: key repeat is at maximum; key delay is minimum)
3. -> the [\] button is getting thicker [\]
Menu and Function Keys are flickering.
Menu and Function Keys are OK after releasing <Esc>.
[\] is still bold.

4. Open Configuration dialog
5. uncheck "[_] Flat user interface"
6. same as 2.
7. -> "[Sys_Win7_x64] nn k of mm k free" is getting fatter.
Menu and Function Keys are flickering (looks like the F-Key /buttons are drawn at different vertical positions).
Menu and Function Keys are OK after releasing <Esc>.
Drive label is still bold.

TC 8.01 (x64), Win 7 x64 Ultimate EN, Aero enabled, ClearType enabled, nVidia 8600GT (256MB), 1600x1200 *32BitColor, LCD monitor, AMD Quad Phenom II 945.

Regards
Holger
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Also note the mention of VirtualBox. Sometimes when TC's clean ini might not be enough, I also test things with clean Windows. Which means creating new virtual machine and installing Windows with all defaults (except for turning off automatic updates). Then as soon as desktop shows up for the first time, test environment is ready. And it should be as reproducible as possible. The system is clean, without a single third-party application or driver, hardware largely virtual, thus same everywhere, ...
sam5

Post by *sam5 »

This appears to be fixed in TC 8.50 Beta 1.

The menu bar is still blinking if I hold down Esc key, but the font in the header no longer changes.

Thanks!
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

History.txt wrote:02.12.12 Fixed: Press ESC multiple times -> line with volume label or "" and ".." button text could become darker with cleartype enabled (64)
Fix Confirmed!

Regards
Holger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com