Your name on the title bar!

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What's your thought over having your name displayed on TC's title bar?

- I like it and I don't want to see any change whatsoever!
14%
- I don't like it at all; get rid of it!
16%
- The best approach is to make it optional/configurable.
47%
- I'm not a fan but I respect and understand the licensing implications.
9%
- I don't really care to be honest!
13%
- Other (please make a post)
1%

Total votes: 367

Mercade

Post by *Mercade »

Stefan2 wrote:5. buy an license but don't take the .key file with you.
Nevel wrote:@Stefan2: I'm afraid option 5 is no option. Wouldn't it be illegal to use TC longer than a certain period of time without buying a license (perhaps I"m mistaken)? By the way, it would be a shame to let the nag screen in place when you actually own a license.
@Nevel: Stefan2 said: buy a license. If you own a license, then it cannot be illegal to use the unlicensed version. Not installing the license file is not a crime.

Personally I prefer it to be configurable. I don't mind the license information to be in the About screen, but I do find it irritating to have it in the window title. I've obtained a (corporate) license in 1997/8 and the company has been renamed twice since. Each time I've gotten a new file, but I'd rather do without it altogether.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hey, guys.

It does not really bother me reading my own name on top of the T.C. window although I do not really need T.C. in order to remind me of my own name. :wink:

And I do not care too much that in the office T.C. still displays the old company name though we have changed our company name.

Yet, of course, I will not object either if one fine day Christian decides to remove the licencee's name from the title bar completely or to offer an option to switch it off.

Cheers,
Karl
oxman

Post by *oxman »

Well, i bought TC. And I regret it cause of this f****** Titlebar.
I'll recommanded other to hack your software. Because put the name on Titlebar is like put DRM on music you buy !!!

And personnaly i won't use anymore TC until i can customize my Titlebar.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Just install TCFS2 and hide title bar ;) you'll save a bit of screen space:)
Using Autorun.wdx plugin it is possible to hide it automatically when TC is started.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

oxman wrote:Because put the name on Titlebar is like put DRM on music you buy !!!
It's not. :) DRM can seriously limit what you can do with music you paid for. It might not play in your favourite player, it may be impossible to copy to your other computer, etc.
Name on titlebar doesn't cause any problems. It doesn't influence the functionality in any way. You can copy TC to all computers you own and it will work. No limits anywhere. Why does it annoy you so much?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Or change the title with AutoHotkey, or NirSoft's WinExplorer, or launch the program with Xbar and set a custom TitleBar at launch. Or use one of the tools for TC - either AHK script or other that set's the TitleBar to current folder or other data.
Auguste

Post by *Auguste »

oxman wrote:Well, i bought TC. And I regret it cause of this f****** Titlebar.
I'll recommanded other to hack your software. Because put the name on Titlebar is like put DRM on music you buy !!!

And personnaly i won't use anymore TC until i can customize my Titlebar.
How in the world is having your name in the titlebar like DRM? DRM on music restricts how and where you can play that music. Your name in the titlebar restricts nothing. I've never seen such a violent reaction to titlebar text in my entire life.

Personally, I love the idea of having my name in the titlebar. I see that sort of thing as a great "thankyou" for purchasing the product - having my name on it. Developers should do it more, even if it's just in the About screen.

I wouldn't object to the titlebar text being made optional, but I for one will be keeping it the way it is.
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

The name on title bar don't bother me. I use TC daily and I'm not seeing the name anymore. Maybe an configurable option is the best for those who don't like it at all.

@oxman: Why you buy a software when this little thing is a knock-out criterion for you to not use TC? If you learn the real features and great benefits of TC then you would not get annoyed about this small cosmetic issue.
Auguste

Post by *Auguste »

Well, I just bought Total Commander. Love seeing my name in the Title Bar. As an added bonus, my address also appears in the About screen. Evidently some people don't like it, but I, for one, do.
sticazzi

Post by *sticazzi »

MVV wrote: Using Autorun.wdx plugin it is possible to hide it automatically when TC is started.
How to do that (ehmm, sorry :oops: , I don't get it...)?

Thankkks
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

MVV is noting a small tool that can do a few different actions (TCFS2), and Autorun.wdx
Autorun.wdx wrote:A pseudo-content plugin that intended to perform some tasks at Total Commander launch. You can run a file, execute TC's command (both cm_ and em_), set environment variable, set delay between commands, write value to ini file, load library or plugin. Commands are reads from text configuration file.
There's also my AHK script Set TitleBar to ActivePath & Append TC Default Title, As I don't know about others but I certainly wouldn't want to remove the Min/Max/Close buttons.

While Autorun.wdx and other tools like it might be useful to some, I find learning a scripting language like AutoIT, AutoHotKey or PowerPro (among others) are far more useful to the programmatically inclined. Since the same knowledge learned for TC can be utilized for customizing/or automating any program you use.
humb20

Name on Title Bar

Post by *humb20 »

Probably the only thing preventing me from buying TC is having my name on the title bar. You can't even provide a pseudonym, the name is taken from the PayPal account or credit card and put there by force. I HATE my name with a passion and there is no way I'll have it on my title bar.

If the idea is somehow to defeat "piracy", it won't work. I don't care if my name appears on someone else's computer. It's on MY computer where it can't appear.

It says they'll send the key in 2-3 days followed by a disk sent by snailmail. If you download the program and receive the key via e-mail, then why is the disk even needed?
theosdikaios

Post by *theosdikaios »

why is the disk even needed?
For tax in most cases.
"Since there are many things which have never happened and never will happen,
and which nevertheless are clearly conceivable, and imply no contradiction,
how can one say they are absolutely impossible?" Leibniz
humb20

Post by *humb20 »

theosdikaios wrote:
why is the disk even needed?
For tax in most cases.
Tax? You mean is there a disk tax in Europe or what? It wouldn't apply to me.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

We send a disk for the following main reasons:
1. Some people just can't receive mails with attachments, e.g. in some companies.
2. Some mails get randomly deleted or moved to Spam folder. GMail is the worst offender here.
3. A key by e-mail is more easily lost than a physical CD.
4. If we would offer only electronic delivery, we would have to register for VAT in the EU and charge you the additional VAT. Now most packages go through by post without VAT because of the low value.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com